delaware hens when do they start laying

blueseal

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 3, 2008
WALDOBORO MAINE
i have 2 delaware hens.they were hatched in may or june.think they are about 30 weeks old or so.should they be laying yet they are on layer mash.i noticed one of them has slightly bigger comb and wattles than the other and getting redder . thanks.

Hmm.. they SHOULD be laying, but aren't knwn for their hugr production. If they were born in June they would be roughly 24-28 weeks old- however, my delawares are horrible layers in the winter, and I notice you're in Maine. The cold and short days aren't helping. Are you lighting them (a 75 watt buld on from dusk till 8 pm? That might help.

Mine were hatched May 28th and they just started about 3 weeks ago. I have 7 hens and I am getting 7-8 a day. These guys are laying machines!!!

My Delaware is about 29 weeks now and she finally laid her first egg 2 days ago. I was THRILLED! I was hoping for another egg from her today and she laid it - right from her roost...kersplat. Broke in half...ick.
tongue.png
Silly chicken!
idunno.gif
I think it was because she saw me rooting around the nest boxes (I was a bit impatient, thinking I missed something LOL).

I'm finally getting 'the squat' from all my hens - it's so cute! Now I'm a member of the 'squat' club! LOL.

Be patient - everything will work out. Take it from a paranoid mama
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom