Delaware Pullet or Roo?

scubaj43

Hatching
May 10, 2016
We have 5 Delaware chicks that were supposed to all be pullets, but I'm wondering if one is a rooster? Here's a pic of the one in question and then one of the bunch of them so you can see how different he/she looks. They are about 14 weeks I think. What do you think?

We have 5 Delaware chicks that were supposed to all be pullets, but I'm wondering if one is a rooster? Here's a pic of the one in question and then one of the bunch of them so you can see how different he/she looks. They are about 14 weeks I think. What do you think?

It's kind of hard to see them, but I think there are some thin, pointed male saddle feathers coming in on the back. Plus, a pullet at that age would just barely be starting to pink up in the comb. He looks like he's been really red for a while now.

He has been red for awhile now. The other chicks that hatched at the same time aren't red at all yet, just slightly pink. This "guy" is also bigger by a few inches and also has more of the black (smut?) in his feathers, but I'm not sure if that means anything. These are our first Delawares.

welcome-byc.gif

That's a cockerel.

One of our Delaware breeders says the males have more smut along the back as juveniles, and the males have barred (striped) tail feathers while the females have solid black tail feathers.

Plus, that comb and the saddle feathers coming in, no matter the breed.

Back
Top Bottom