Delaware's for Meat

Hi, glad to see more people raising meat! You're deffenitley going to have to hold them past 12 weeks, (14-18), depending on what you fed them. People frown on it because it "eats so fast it's unhealthy" "the legs give out" "So many heart attacks". All these can be easily solved, by, restricting feed, raising the feeder so they have to stand to eat, and by raising them in cooler weather. They are amazing birds, for meat. Easy to process, clean up so great, and quick to grow! I can't find any negatives, which is why I've decided to stick with them, and not raise heritage breeds for meet. Good luck!

I grew some Delawares for meat and eggs a couple years ago. The hens are great layers of large eggs and excellent foragers, and I hope to always have some in my flock. The cockerels are relatively mild-mannerd, and those that went into the freezer did make excellent quality meat, fine-textured and flavorful, with carcass weights of 4 to 5 lbs at around 16 - 18 weeks. I cannot imagine trying to do that commercially though! The feed conversion ratio is terrible, and you have to hold the cockerels for at least a month after they start crowing... managing them seems like it would be a nightmare. Hens aren't going to produce much meat until 6 months, I suspect. Processing them is MUCH more difficult than CX - the feathers are tight, the body cavity is narrow and the breastbone is rigid - so it's difficult to get your hand inside for evisceration - I couldn't beleive how much easier the CX were.

I'd say try a small batch if you can, to get the feel for it and to test out your market. Everyone likes to hate on the CX until they are presented with a heritage bird carcass... and the price.
So true.

So to the OP, Coles FreshEggs i have written quite a bit on other threads regarding my experience with Delawares as a dual purpose animal. Check out my profile to see all the posts as they are in many threads.

The biggest mistake I feel anyone makes when raising "heritage" breeds, specifically for meat, is having unrealistic expectations.

1.The bottom line is "heritage breeds" grow out slower than the modern commercial broiler or "Cornish cross". The feed conversion rate is really not different. What happens is the uber protein broiler ration (+20%) that the modern commercial broiler requires to achieve grow out in 6 weeks is plainly too rich of a ration for an average "heritage" cockerel to efficiently digest.The extra protein ends up as extra ($$$) nitrogen rich manure. The most efficient protein level for heritage broilers is around 16-18% after 6 weeks old.

The CX needs the extra protein to perform the way it does. A heritage breed doesn't. The heritage isn't growing fast enough to use it all anyway. Less is sometimes more.

Some will surely disagree but my records don't lie. I achieved nothing but spending more money by switching to a "broiler" ration. A good 17% layer ration which requires an additional calcium supplement for your laying hens will do, especially if your birds have access to a pasture they can forage on.

2. The carcass doesn't look what your use to seeing in the store. Eat the bird and you get over that fact real fast. When it comes to flavor the Delaware beats the feathers off a CX. A "heritage breed" by definition must be able to reproduce "naturally" the CX's monstrous breasts are a real issue when it comes to making babies so if you want a self sustaining flock get use to getting most of your meat from the leg quarters and a different look to the whole bird. That is not to say a heritage breed doesn't make a good breast. On the contrary in fact. With proper breeder selection I achieve two breast filets netting around a pound in 16 weeks. What my observation is that while the CX has a wide chest, the keel bone is much shallower than a heritage birds. CX wide but shallow. Heritage narrower but deeper. So while the breast is shaped different actual muscle yield is comparable. What this comes down to is is that one's eyes can deceive.

Above: A dual purpose hen of my own. Carcass 3.25lbs White Laced Red Cornish(rooster) X Delaware x Buff Orpington(hen)

3. OMG!!! Why does it cost so much? The short answer is chicks. Buying chicks each year is where most of the profit is lost when is comes to raising heritage breeds. If you are not making your own chicks expect "sticker shock".

With that said if you intend to adventure into a broiler business with a heritage breed allowing me to offer this advice.

Plan on having a self sustaining flock. Your birds ought to be able to make you more birds.
Pick a breed that lays well. You will need the eggs for the next hatch.
The first year is going to be a loss. Starting up always costs something.
Keep at least two lines of birds. The hybrid vigor is worth the extra hassle.

Now to the Delaware.
Great choice as a heritage breed to use as a broiler. When you look at the breeds that were crossed to make Delawares you start to realize the Delaware is just an improved Plymouth Rock or New Hampshire Red. Two solid choices for the same purpose. You can expect a 5.5 lbs live bird in 18 weeks with proper management of breeding and nutrition. I expect my breeding cockerels to reach 7.5 lbs live wieght by week 30 and 8 lbs by one year. Many get bigger faster but if a cockerel doesn't perform to this level it surely never breeds.

Like I said I got lots to say on the Delaware so check out my profile, read my old posts, if you want to. And go for it the Delaware is the answer to the those wishing to not eat CX.

I agree with SJ. We do a similar cross, Dark Cornish over Delaware hens to produce a well shaped carcass. This cross also ends up with a sexlink result to make sexing easier. The cockerals all become capons. Which you may also be able to create a market for.

Hi, glad to see more people raising meat! You're deffenitley going to have to hold them past 12 weeks, (14-18), depending on what you fed them. People frown on it because it "eats so fast it's unhealthy" "the legs give out" "So many heart attacks". All these can be easily solved, by, restricting feed, raising the feeder so they have to stand to eat, and by raising them in cooler weather. They are amazing birds, for meat. Easy to process, clean up so great, and quick to grow! I can't find any negatives, which is why I've decided to stick with them, and not raise heritage breeds for meet. Good luck!

Really like your post. So tired of people downgrading the CX
big_smile.png
The problem starts with management.

So to the OP, Coles FreshEggs i have written quite a bit on other threads regarding my experience with Delawares as a dual purpose animal. Check out my profile to see all the posts as they are in many threads.

The biggest mistake I feel anyone makes when raising "heritage" breeds, specifically for meat, is having unrealistic expectations.

1.The bottom line is "heritage breeds" grow out slower than the modern commercial broiler or "Cornish cross". The feed conversion rate is really not different. What happens is the uber protein broiler ration (+20%) that the modern commercial broiler requires to achieve grow out in 6 weeks is plainly too rich of a ration for an average "heritage" cockerel to efficiently digest.The extra protein ends up as extra ($$$) nitrogen rich manure. The most efficient protein level for heritage broilers is around 16-18% after 6 weeks old.

The CX needs the extra protein to perform the way it does. A heritage breed doesn't. The heritage isn't growing fast enough to use it all anyway. Less is sometimes more.

Some will surely disagree but my records don't lie. I achieved nothing but spending more money by switching to a "broiler" ration. A good 17% layer ration which requires an additional calcium supplement for your laying hens will do, especially if your birds have access to a pasture they can forage on.

2. The carcass doesn't look what your use to seeing in the store. Eat the bird and you get over that fact real fast. When it comes to flavor the Delaware beats the feathers off a CX. A "heritage breed" by definition must be able to reproduce "naturally" the CX's monstrous breasts are a real issue when it comes to making babies so if you want a self sustaining flock get use to getting most of your meat from the leg quarters and a different look to the whole bird. That is not to say a heritage breed doesn't make a good breast. On the contrary in fact. With proper breeder selection I achieve two breast filets netting around a pound in 16 weeks. What my observation is that while the CX has a wide chest, the keel bone is much shallower than a heritage birds. CX wide but shallow. Heritage narrower but deeper. So while the breast is shaped different actual muscle yield is comparable. What this comes down to is is that one's eyes can deceive.

Above: A dual purpose hen of my own. Carcass 3.25lbs White Laced Red Cornish(rooster) X Delaware x Buff Orpington(hen)

3. OMG!!! Why does it cost so much? The short answer is chicks. Buying chicks each year is where most of the profit is lost when is comes to raising heritage breeds. If you are not making your own chicks expect "sticker shock".

With that said if you intend to adventure into a broiler business with a heritage breed allowing me to offer this advice.

Plan on having a self sustaining flock. Your birds ought to be able to make you more birds.
Pick a breed that lays well. You will need the eggs for the next hatch.
The first year is going to be a loss. Starting up always costs something.
Keep at least two lines of birds. The hybrid vigor is worth the extra hassle.

Now to the Delaware.
Great choice as a heritage breed to use as a broiler. When you look at the breeds that were crossed to make Delawares you start to realize the Delaware is just an improved Plymouth Rock or New Hampshire Red. Two solid choices for the same purpose. You can expect a 5.5 lbs live bird in 18 weeks with proper management of breeding and nutrition. I expect my breeding cockerels to reach 7.5 lbs live wieght by week 30 and 8 lbs by one year. Many get bigger faster but if a cockerel doesn't perform to this level it surely never breeds.

Like I said I got lots to say on the Delaware so check out my profile, read my old posts, if you want to. And go for it the Delaware is the answer to the those wishing to not eat CX.
This is as good a post as I've ever seen telling about the choices and plans for achieving self sustainment.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom