Delawares from kathyinmo

We'll probably do that until the trees get established as they start out pretty small.

The existing orchard trees are nearly as old as I am ... ancient ... and have been mostly ignored over the years. Since the chickens moved in that orchard has gotten more attention and is producing better fruit. But I don't want to plant anything that requires spray.

I've read poultry and chestnut trees are a particularly good mix for pest control, and that pawpaws and poultry are a good mix, and that chestnuts and pawpaws are a good mix ... so I want to do an area of all three. The only issue is chestnut trees can get pretty huge pretty fast, and I don't want them to shade the other fruit too much, so I'll have to pick my spot for that pretty carefully. I'm thinking the fence line for the breeding coop where we already have a double row of tall trees.

We planted 9 Dunstan Chestnuts last year - even got a couple nuts already- you need to space then about 40' + if you want some sun area.

We planted 9 Dunstan Chestnuts last year - even got a couple nuts already- you need to space then about 40' + if you want some sun area.

We've got a row of "mature" chestnuts across the driveway from the poultry area (a few birds venture that far every day), so I know you're right. I gather the Pawpaws do better under another tree, so the shade is part of the plan. I like having the area closest to the breeding coop under shade with lots of tree cover as that's where the broodies take the chicks, and that's where we feed the chicks, etc.

This is a good illustration

The cock has a continuos sweep - the hen just gradual- this is what we are all looking for
droolin.gif

I've spent a little time handling cockerels this week, trying to match what I see with what I can feel.

About the bottom lines ...

The cockerel I have with the roundest lower quadrant of chest in photos ... his legs are slightly wider apart than the others, which *I think* gives room for his body and feathers to be suspended more between the legs than held above them, more settled down, so his chest looks rounder on the bottom 1/4 of the body circle. He doesn't feel super fleshy in the chest. (I've squeezed more BBB turkey breasts than cockerel breasts, so my meter is perhaps a little skewed.)

I also have a near twin to that cockerel, but with narrower legs and a more sloped chest, who actually feels more fleshy in the chest and is a little more heavy ... that one has a wider back. The heavier/more sloped/ wider backed one might also be a few weeks older than the more curved-looking one. But at the ages these birds are now, I'm not sure how much exact age should matter.

I'm going to keep my eye on the relationship between leg width and chest appearance in the future. And how both relate to back width. Also in the females -- who tend toward the opposite issue of being sloped down toward the front in a way that doesn't match the upright balance the Standard of Perfection calls for and looks a little awkward to my eye -- I'm wondering if the females that stand more tilted/heavier in the front also have wider legs.

Last year's hatches were spread out over 10.5 weeks. I'm hoping to compress that a bit this breeding season. We shall see!

Last edited:
I've spent a little time handling cockerels this week, trying to match what I see with what I can feel.

About the bottom lines ...

The cockerel I have with the roundest lower quadrant of chest in photos ... his legs are slightly wider apart than the others, which *I think* gives room for his body and feathers to be suspended more between the legs than held above them, more settled down, so his chest looks rounder on the bottom 1/4 of the body circle. He doesn't feel super fleshy in the chest. (I've squeezed more BBB turkey breasts than cockerel breasts, so my meter is perhaps a little skewed.)

I also have a near twin to that cockerel, but with narrower legs and a more sloped chest, who actually feels more fleshy in the chest and is a little more heavy ... that one has a wider back. The heavier/more sloped/ wider backed one might also be a few weeks older than the more curved-looking one. But at the ages these birds are now, I'm not sure how much exact age should matter.

I'm going to keep my eye on the relationship between leg width and chest appearance in the future. And how both relate to back width. Also in the females -- who tend toward the opposite issue of being sloped down toward the front in a way that doesn't match the upright balance the Standard of Perfection calls for and looks a little awkward to my eye -- I'm wondering if the females that stand more tilted/heavier in the front also have wider legs.

Last year's hatches were spread out over 10.5 weeks. I'm hoping to compress that a bit this breeding season. We shall see!

I always assumed that the wider stance , within reason, had the wider breast. Well rounded and full. But don't know .That is interesting .

I always assumed that the wider stance , within reason, had the wider breast. Well rounded and full. But don't know .That is interesting .

Yeah. Me, too. But my information set is rather limited. I just thought I'd throw it out there, and see if anyone else has any more experience to add.

I got super excited when I saw that one cockerel with the full half-circle from chin to knees and noted the width between his legs. Then his tail is one of the narrower tails in my flock and he isn't as heavy as he looks. Weirdness ... ! He is still a nice bird, and I'd happily breed him to see if he passes his look on.

There are "rounder" breeds than the Delaware and New Hampshire ... such as Wyandottes. We don't want to get quite that round. But I'd still love to smooth out the lower chest curve a bit more in my flock. But not with "just" feathers (these aren't Cochins).

Last edited:
Yeah. Me, too. But my information set is rather limited. I just thought I'd throw it out there, and see if anyone else has any more experience to add.

I got super excited when I saw that one cockerel with the full half-circle from chin to knees and noted the width between his legs. Then his tail is one of the narrower tails in my flock and he isn't as heavy as he looks. Weirdness ... ! He is still a nice bird, and I'd happily breed him to see if he passes his look on.

There are "rounder" breeds than the Delaware and New Hampshire ... such as Wyandottes. We don't want to get quite that round. But I'd still love to smooth out the lower chest curve a bit more in my flock. But not with "just" feathers (these aren't Cochins).

I think where you pick up the chest size is the set back of legs from side view. Go back and look at Zannas blacktail that has good chest and some of the other that are not as favorable.
The legs are set back more because maybe chest protrudes. Same with the Shilling view.

Would having a male in the pen help stimulate laying for pullets that may have stopped laying because they were relocated.
Not in my experience. Sometimes putting a male in will make them stop laying for some time. Every bird is individual, I have had some that nothing phases them they just keep laying, others stop for quite some time. Amazing how they can just turn it off :(

Back
Top Bottom