Delawares from kathyinmo

Pics

The one on left is more of a Columbian Pattern- the one on right is what I call Del ticking pattern . I,m sure there are more technical names but thats what I call it. That
is not a extreme Columbian pattern but I thought the side by side was better for comparison.

Now off topic I need opinion

Critique this cock at 19 weeks
The Columbian neck pattern is called striping, the Dels ticking is gradient barring, the hens neck pattern per the SOP is called stippling these terms are all described in the first pages of the SOP and good to know if someone is going to be breeding seriously or upgrading toward perfection J/S

The male posted is ok but a little high in the tail section if you have one that has a lower tail I'd use him for a breeder the one posted would be good to look at in a sea of layers but not to carry forward with this project as Mrs. Kathy stated these projects (even though it is F4s already) are still having to get there from here stage. Good luck I hope to be joining in on this movement soon.

Jeff

The Columbian neck pattern is called striping, the Dels ticking is gradient barring, the hens neck pattern per the SOP is called stippling these terms are all described in the first pages of the SOP and good to know if someone is going to be breeding seriously or upgrading toward perfection J/S

The male posted is ok but a little high in the tail section if you have one that has a lower tail I'd use him for a breeder the one posted would be good to look at in a sea of layers but not to carry forward with this project as Mrs. Kathy stated these projects (even though it is F4s already) are still having to get there from here stage. Good luck I hope to be joining in on this movement soon.

Jeff
I hope you join soon too ! I value your input . I have a SOP 1980 but didn't want to spend the time to look it up .
This is busy season.
That Cock is not my Blue line [ Kathys ] its a Red line which probably originated back from Speckled hens.
The color markings are much better on that line than what I'm seeing on the blue. Don't know if I should hold one of those in reserve
for a while . That was my thought anyway and I need to make up my mind quick cull day is tomorrow LOL.
I do have one about the same with a lower tail. See if I can get a Pic . I only have 14 of Kathys to start with so my selection is limited.

We can all learn from each other here. This is one reason I was reluctant to release these birds. They are not a "done deal," yet. I am sure there is still alot of work to do with them.

Hi Kathy! It is great to hear from you! I hope that I don't ever sound like I'm complaining about anything with your Dels. I am so grateful to have them! I know that they are a work in progress and anything that I do say about them is only because I want to know how to do my best with them.

chickens -
I recently had a predator problem. My husband did see a coyote one day. I lost at least 20. My chickens are now (for over a week now) locked up in their pens-runs. I hate that. I love when they are all out ranging. All the ones I lost were from my layers coop, where my Delaware layers (F3s) are. Locked up, I have not lost any more.
My neighbor has terrible losses to coyotes. I'm able to free range during the day and keep them locked up at night. I think my electric fences and dogs keep the coyotes away. Last night, they sounded so close, I was wishing that I had some blanks that I could go fire off some shots to scare them off.
Do you have any kind of livestock guardian animal to protect against coyotes? I wonder if emus could injure a coyote?

Critique this cock at 19 weeks
He has the desired bowl shape, but the tail looks too high. Does he have the same weight/width as your others?

Yes, I sometimes forget to look up the proper terms in the glossary.

That Cock is not my Blue line [ Kathys ] its a Red line which probably originated back from Speckled hens.
The color markings are much better on that line than what I'm seeing on the blue. Don't know if I should hold one of those in reserve
for a while .
My other Dels have more correct coloring, so I was considering that, also. Then I saw how much bigger and how much more true to type Kathy's are, and now I can't stand to look at my others. I'm going to let them go to someone who just wants backyard layers.

Jeff this is the other one #R3 at 19 weeks

He is next to heaviest of that group but only by 1/2 oz less - he is chunky and 6 point comb
If you look just at the outline of this guy, you'll see that he's missing the rounded breast. Bob was just describing this on the heritage thread, he called it a sawed off breast.

JMO though! I'm not an expert.

Kim R3 has same breast as other one but he was starting to lean forward- this one has slightly shorter neck but head and back are broad - He's within 1/2 oz of the first one.

Robin
Yes the other has 6 point comb also - Hes one of yours - do you need one you better call quick LOL They are off food already and Sun is D day.
R3 is from Julies line [ I think all originated from Speckle hen down the line ]

I have already tagged R3 for temporary hold . At least until I make first cull on KIMNIM line [ my blue line ] I weighed the red line at 18 weeks and am going to weight Blue line at
same time frame for comparison and probably 1st cull at about 20 weeks.

Kim R3 has same breast as other one but he was starting to lean forward- this one has slightly shorter neck but head and back are broad - He's within 1/2 oz of the first one.

Robin
Yes the other has 6 point comb also - Hes one of yours - do you need one you better call quick LOL They are off food already and Sun is D day.
R3 is from Julies line [ I think all originated from Speckle hen down the line ]

I have already tagged R3 for temporary hold . At least until I make first cull on KIMNIM line [ my blue line ] I weighed the red line at 18 weeks and am going to weight Blue line at
same time frame for comparison and probably 1st cull at about 20 weeks.
I don't need anymore roos right now i have 8 roos of a diff, breed to do this week . (freezer camp)

I don't need anymore roos right now i have 8 roos of a diff, breed to do this week . (freezer camp)
Yep ! Well now you would have to clone him and R3 - they all in the ice chest cooling it . I am not keeping any Cocks from that line - I figure if I need to change some color I still have
two pullets each from two different lines. It was getting complicated with limited space.

People are asking for pictures so here are some. These are my F4s at 16 weeks old. I think they are just beautiful. Kathy can be proud of her work. There are more photos at my profile in the F4 album. I have not culled any, but have made up my mind about most of them. The pullets are easy to pick. The cockerels will take longer for many of them. I had 12 pullets and 8 cockerels grow out. They are very vigorous and easy to keep. This is so much fun! I'll be glad to answer any questions if I can. Thanks, Bea

Back
Top Bottom