Delawares from kathyinmo

Pics

A spatchcock, otherwise known as "spattlecock", is poultry or game that has been prepared for roasting or grilling by removing the backbone, and sometimes the sternum of the bird and flattening it out before cooking. The preparation of a bird in such a manner for cooking may also be known as butterflying the bird. The term "spatchcock" is used when the backbone is removed, whether or not the sternum is removed. Removing the sternum allows the bird to be flattened more fully.

"Spatchcock" is also the traditional word for a juvenile chicken (in French, a "poussin"). Poussins or Spatchcocks were generally butterflied in preparation for faster cooking, hence in modern English the word has come to refer to both the bird and the manner in which it was traditionally prepared.
No fair - 10:30 AM and your making me hungry and not even lunch time.

Kathy thanks for that beautiful picture. It describes spatchcocking perfectly. I think that I'm going to serve one for dinner today since that picture has me drooling.

Tom: I have not weighed the others. Two of the ones processed were the smallest so all the others will be at least 5 lbs I think. It's hard to weigh a live bird on my scale. I need to find one with a bigger surface. The biggest cockerel I kept and #1 breeding prospect at this point has a very deep keel. I think he must be at least 6 lb. I laugh and think he looks like a goose. I exaggerating a bit!

Kathy thanks for that beautiful picture. It describes spatchcocking perfectly. I think that I'm going to serve one for dinner today since that picture has me drooling.

Tom: I have not weighed the others. Two of the ones processed were the smallest so all the others will be at least 5 lbs I think. It's hard to weigh a live bird on my scale. I need to find one with a bigger surface. The biggest cockerel I kept and #1 breeding prospect at this point has a very deep keel. I think he must be at least 6 lb. I laugh and think he looks like a goose. I exaggerating a bit!
I finally got feed up with frustration of weighing with inferior scales and bought this one

http://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-Ha...8509&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=pelouze+scale+7842

its 20 Lb in 1 oz increments - the dial is much easier to read than LCD screens- it has a zero dial so you can use whatever you want
to hold the bird - I used a 5 gallon bucket and we are going to sew up a holder with two rods and cloth in middle next time but the bucket works great you just need to get them in head first and get the reading before they get un-confused lol-
Sharon has a Purse and Old kitchenware ebay business and its good for weighing outgoing mail etc .great little scale

I finally got feed up with frustration of weighing with inferior scales and bought this one

http://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-Ha...8509&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=pelouze+scale+7842

its 20 Lb in 1 oz increments - the dial is much easier to read than LCD screens- it has a zero dial so you can use whatever you want
to hold the bird - I used a 5 gallon bucket and we are going to sew up a holder with two rods and cloth in middle next time but the bucket works great you just need to get them in head first and get the reading before they get un-confused lol-
Sharon has a Purse and Old kitchenware ebay business and its good for weighing outgoing mail etc .great little scale

Crawfish(or otherwise called onion)sacks work well for this method too, and for the ones worried this may hurt your birds its a lot better than them flailing about possibly injuring them or much more important yourself, anyone ever had a wing feather hit you in the eye it hurts badly enough to forget the whole intent and purpose for a spell for sure.

Jeff

Crawfish(or otherwise called onion)sacks work well for this method too, and for the ones worried this may hurt your birds its a lot better than them flailing about possibly injuring them or much more important yourself, anyone ever had a wing feather hit you in the eye it hurts badly enough to forget the whole intent and purpose for a spell for sure.

Jeff
Only some one from Bayou country would call a onion sack a Crawfish sack . But east of here we call em Clam sacks LOL
Thats kinda what we had in mind but with end close and one side open and two dowels sewed in the sides - fast open and close .
Hard to explain but when we get it designed will post pics LOL

That sure is a beautiful scale. An old pillow case or feedsack might work for a while if you didn't have a crawfish sack.
Wouldn't that be a Clam sack from Lower Slower Delaware LOL - always some of my favorite parts of the country Lower DelMarVa Peninsula - great Flounder fishing.
Actually a laundry bag may be perfect now that I think about it.
The 5 gal bucket worked great for the freezer birds but maybe something else gentler for Breeders.
Be glad when this weather changes . its been raining here , steady mist for four days. Kinda like my Dad described England weather was. Its depressing . lol
Bea ,
Thats some mighty nice Germans you have there - Both Avian and canine

Last edited:
Only some one from Bayou country would call a onion sack a Crawfish sack . But east of here we call em Clam sacks LOL
Thats kinda what we had in mind but with end close and one side open and two dowels sewed in the sides - fast open and close .
Hard to explain but when we get it designed will post pics LOL
You know it LOL
Yes they are a multipurpose sack around this part of the country from onions to dry peas, to pecans to crawfish LOL and make for a quick and easy chicken holder. When you got them in that thing, they are rendered motionless darn near it. Its for everybodies well being for sure(not cruelty)

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom