Delawares from kathyinmo

Pics
Actually, Kathy set me to Paul Harter when I asked her about some Delawares. At the time she didn't have any. And I thank her. He's not selling them any more to the public. He's web site is even off line.

I'm a bit discouraged. We had the extra cockerels processed, which included 22 wk. old Dels from Kathy, all of the remaining Dels from my breeding (24 & 18 wks.) and Dorkings (29 & 24 wks. old).

The 22 wk. old Dels were almost all bone. Not even enough meat for soup, they'll be used as dog food. The other Dels varied in the amount of meat but definitely had more meat, less frame to them. When alive, they looked skinnier and lacked proper type. The 24 wk. old was one of the largest, comparable to the 29 wk. Dorkings in the amount of meat. Those would not fit into the gallon sized freezer bags. (Dorkings are slow maturing and mine are not to Standard weight.) The good news for me is that my Dorkings this year have more weight (and meat) at this age. So, selection for size does result in gradual progress.

I know that these are a work in progress and I need to be patient. I would like to be able to get some quantity of meat off a 5 month old bird, though. Especially since one of the main reasons that I have Dels is to have a faster maturing bird than the Dorkings.

I know that the general rule would be to select the faster maturing birds as breeders over time.

I have another thought. I don't know a thing about genetics, so don't know how this would work and want some input from others. What if another cross was done, using these males and New Hampshire hens. Would the result have any Delaware colored chicks that would be faster maturing?

Kim I can't answer the question about he crossing but will have some cockerels to process in next couple weeks and will let you know weights dressed- I think these are maturing slower than other dels were
so I.m giving it a couple extra weeks- they are 24 this week and just starting to mock fight and crow better.

I have another thought. I don't know a thing about genetics, so don't know how this would work and want some input from others. What if another cross was done, using these males and New Hampshire hens. Would the result have any Delaware colored chicks that would be faster maturing?
I have read that the old timers would make this cross to improve their Dels. A year ago I bought some GNH with the plan to play with this with my own Del. line. The GNH chicks I got came from hens with lovely open tails which I wanted to improve in my Dels. I really fell for these birds and never made the cross. Anyways, I have the ability this season to play with this but maybe not the time or breeding pens depending on what happens.............. Would also like some input on what the results might be.

Cackle Hatchery has this cross for sale as chicks. The chicks are yellow. Do not know what the chickens look like. I plan on doing this cross in Feb. see what I get.

Scott

Didn't know that Scott. Thank you.

They have some interesting info and photos. Looks like some of the NH color comes through on the males. They don't look very wide but they are using hatchery stock breeders. And they don't say how long to mature- which is what matters to me in considering this. http://www.cacklehatchery.com/delaware_x_hampshire_cross.htm

Zanna, where did you read that the old timers would do this?

Looks like it to me. I have some GNH pullets I am going to put a Bill Braden Del.rooster over, I guess we will find out.

So if you cross a Delaware rooster with a NH hen you will get Delawares???
You will get Delaware patterned offspring yes, they will more than likely be a little brassy esp. the males in the pyle zone(hackles, saddle,wingbow) area.
Has to be Del male over a red female (silver over gold) the opposite cross would yield sex links (gold over silver) with the males only looking the part, the females would be red like the sire.

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom