Delawares from kathyinmo

Pics
Hey Bee, not sure if you were speaking of my Clan or NestingHillsSC? Anyways, none of Kathy's Dels are laying yet and they hatched the beginning of April. The boys are not crowing yet or acting amorous in any way yet. The GNH are close to the same age, they have been laying for about a month and the boys have not been with any girls but they look fairly mature and are crowing.

My own line of Dels which I no longer have matured at about the same rate as the GNH, maybe even a little earlier. This new line of Dels. is a test of patience for sure!!!!

I don't mind if they take their time as it looks like the heritage line WRs she gave me also are taking their sweet time~big gals, all of them, but not much sex characteristics yet. I love it when they are late maturing, it bodes well for their laying longevity and that's something I really try to nurture.

My sister has two of the Dels and she swore that one laid an egg but I got a look at them this week and they are showing even less than my girls, so I'm doubting very seriously if she got an egg from either of them. They are, BTW, very good looking with good coloring on all points, good conformation...they are just a picture!

Last edited:
Hey Bee, not sure if you were speaking of my Clan or NestingHillsSC? Anyways, none of Kathy's Dels are laying yet and they hatched the beginning of April. The boys are not crowing yet or acting amorous in any way yet. The GNH are close to the same age, they have been laying for about a month and the boys have not been with any girls but they look fairly mature and are crowing.

My own line of Dels which I no longer have matured at about the same rate as the GNH, maybe even a little earlier. This new line of Dels. is a test of patience for sure!!!!

HAHAHA, I wish mine weren't crowing. Those boys have THE loudest lungs I have ever heard. LOL I swear there heads are going to pop off when there crowing.

I think one of Kathys pullets laid an egg yesterday- We got a dink egg LOL - thats at 24 weeks - the old line started at 21[ one pullet and other two within 10 days ] - unless the red tag line is going backwards in size. Yes these new ones are slooow developing. But may not be bad .

Zanna - Yes like first pullet

My HRIR's are that way. They don't start to lay until 7-8 months. Just the Heritage in them. Which isn't bad at all!!
big_smile.png

I don't mind if they take their time as it looks like the heritage line WRs she gave me also are taking their sweet time~big gals, all of them, but not much sex characteristics yet. I love it when they are late maturing, it bodes well for their laying longevity and that's something I really try to nurture.

My sister has two of the Dels and she swore that one laid an egg but I got a look at them this week and they are showing even less than my girls, so I'm doubting very seriously if she got an egg from either of them. They are, BTW, very good looking with good coloring on all points, good conformation...they are just a picture!

I am very happy for the girls to take their time but I wish the boys would mature a little faster. For those of us who want to breed and further this line, having to grow out so many cockerals for so long is not ideal. In my old line, I was able to make a pretty definitive selection on the cockerals at 16 - 20 weeks and they were a nice size for butchering. These boys I have from Kathy's line are tall and scrawny still at 6 mos. +. We will see how long it takes them to fill out...............

And their ginormous appetites can't be helping....
gig.gif
Those Dels can put away some tucker!

Yes, that too!!! Luckily we get oats/peas/wheat/corn/flax seed at commodity prices from local farmers so that helps. Butchered a deer yesterday and took much longer than usual as we cut off all the fat/scraps and froze them for the chickens as well. 3 Hogs to butcher before x-mas, will save those scraps too. Grow a huge garden so lots of greens/pumpkins/squash/beets/sunflowers. Plus when not penned up for breeding they have 11 diverse acres of hayfield and woodlot (of which they only use about 2 acres). It all helps!

Spent some time this morning watching the boys eating snacks with their heads down. Some are starting to show some more definite width through the shoulders, YAY! Now, if that bowl shape starts to take place I will be really excited as their side views aren't so pretty right now!

Here are some pic. of my crew from tonight. The girl in the first 3 pics. is my top choice for a breeder even though she has the columbian type markings. Her skull is huge, tail is nice and open, and she is my fullest, largest pullet.
Nice pullet. Your males look and sound like mine. Oh and cute LG you got there.
smile.png

Anyways, none of Kathy's Dels are laying yet ... The boys are not crowing yet or acting amorous in any way yet. ...

Mine also.

I am very happy for the girls to take their time but I wish the boys would mature a little faster.

Me too. I'm not the only impatient one.
Spent some time this morning watching the boys eating snacks with their heads down. Some are starting to show some more definite width through the shoulders,
Mine have always been wide of back, but not necessarily wide between the legs. Also waiting for the bowl shape to show itself. The pullets are promising.

Nice, Zanna. He just needs to fill out. Walt pointed out how nice the wing angle is on these Dels. Keep an eye on the tail, though. Still trying to figure that out in mine.

Back
Top Bottom