Delawares from kathyinmo

Well that was going to be my next fryer check- I don't know that it is prime. I am trying to find the right time that is still big enough for the pot and tender enough for the fryer.
I am still experimenting.
Let us know about the flavor and the texture as you go along. I will have some to eat this yr. Has anyone canned any chicken meat with the broth? If so how was it. It has to be better than the one you buy.

Rancher - you do have chicks from Kathyinmo line - the five you hatched are pure F5s from Kathy's line and you are welcome on this thread.
Join the conversation anytime.
How many pullets you get from that hatch ?
I only have 5 hens and hatched about 100 this year. It can be done with small numbers just be selective and you can always add too it.
Why do you think Dels are not good for dual purpose ? They lack in table weight ? Thin ? I don't think so. You just got the right ones to start with.

These cockerels look OK ?- 37 weeks and we could have processed at about 32 but was choosing breeders- even at 37 weeks they were great fried and they are free range.

I was not aware of that. I'll take some pics and post them. I'm not completely sure whether they're girls or boys. Some do look nice and round.
smile.png

I'd like to share too, that today I went to Hooches a junk/antique store and found a box of "Farm and Home" newspapers from the early 1900's. 1909 and thereabouts. There are some great articles about poultry farming and different breeds.

The most recent I've been reading was about a guy who sold 5 white orpingtons for $7500. Too there are the records of number of eggs laid. Another about White Leghorns. Some too on women and chickens and the business. One saved the farm after her husband got sick, by building her own incubator.

Of course it does cover other things too, like sheep, the dairy business and laws. Even a petition form to send to the president concerning the PO not wanting to deliver packages and such to rural areas. Taxes on periodicals and how the PO was running in the black and didn't need the tax money. Do you know who was president in 1910? No fair looking it up.

Last edited:
Let us know about the flavor and the texture as you go along. I will have some to eat this yr. Has anyone canned any chicken meat with the broth? If so how was it. It has to be better than the one you buy.

This first edition of "Farm and Home" I've been reading has recipes for "Calves foot soup", "Oxtail soup", "Mullagatawny Soup" and different types of stock. And yes you use Calves feet and Ox tails. Not sure where you'd get them these days.

Last edited:
Now I'd like to share, that today I went to a junk/antique store and found a bunch of old "Farm and Home" newspapers from the 1909 and there abouts years.

It also mentions Ernest Kellerstrass and his White orpingtons. That he sold to madam Paderewski " a male and 4 females for $7500 cash." Says he said he won't sell birds for breeding for less.
To put that in perspective : in 1909 you could buy 8 New Model T [touring model] Fords for $7500 .

To put that in perspective : in 1909 you could buy 8 New Model T [touring model] Fords for $7500 .
Well now I've more to share. I also have a copy of the April 1919 American Agriculturalist too. Great article on chickens. "Lessons of Twenty Years with Poultry".

Ad for Mayers Hatchery - Mayers six week baby chick developer. Prevents white diarrhea.

AND an ad for cars. The Overland. Model Ninety, Five passenger touring car for $985. Sedan for $1495

Which reminds me of a paper I found under the self lining in our old house. New houses for $14,000.

This is the Picture for the "Lessons" article, though author said he had RIR's and Leghorns. It is interesting to read how many eggs he got in the winter time.

I had hoped you could read the caption but maybe not so here is what it says.

Good Type and a Poor Type of laying hen.

"The hen pictured on the left laid 239 egg, while the other one laid seven during the same period of time. Not the ddp, full breast and the crop, the straight back and correct slope of the tail. Then note the same points of the other bird. The good type means eggs. Which kind of hen are you raising?"

I hope everyone finds these articles as interesting as I do. I will note the the author feeds birds meat by products, which he mentions later in the article.

Well now I've more to share. I also have a copy of the April 1919 American Agriculturalist too. Great article on chickens. "Lessons of Twenty Years with Poultry".

Ad for Mayers Hatchery - Mayers six week baby chick developer. Prevents white diarrhea.

AND an ad for cars. The Overland. Model Ninety, Five passenger touring car for $985. Sedan for $1495

Which reminds me of a paper I found under the self lining in our old house. New houses for $14,000.

This is the Picture for the "Lessons" article, though author said he had RIR's and Leghorns. It is interesting to read how many eggs he got in the winter time.

I had hoped you could read the caption but maybe not so here is what it says.

Good Type and a Poor Type of laying hen.

"The hen pictured on the left laid 239 egg, while the other one laid seven during the same period of time. Not the ddp, full breast and the crop, the straight back and correct slope of the tail. Then note the same points of the other bird. The good type means eggs. Which kind of hen are you raising?"

I hope everyone finds these articles as interesting as I do. I will note the the author feeds birds meat by products, which he mentions later in the article.
I think I have the hens on left but most likely, when figuring winter and molt , only get about 190>200 Est. I think if the other only laid 7 then it has other problems besides "Type".
Note the Bi-line says " Ohio farmer makes good income from 200 hens" Good luck on that today even with 1000 LOL
Gotta remember back in early 1900s they were still selling a lot of snake oil. LOL

Last edited:
This first edition of "Farm and Home" I've been reading has recipes for "Calves foot soup", "Oxtail soup", "Mullagatawny Soup" and different types of stock. And yes you use Calves feet and Ox tails. Not sure where you'd get them these days.
I remember eating hogs feet as a child and thought it a treat. They had good chewy meat on them. The ox tails were cut across and looked like small rounds of beef with a white center. I have never had them. Back then and before we often laughed about eating everything except the squeal. People were hungry in that time. Even more so than mine. It was considered wastefull to thow out potential food.

I remember eating hogs feet as a child and thought it a treat. They had good chewy meat on them. The ox tails were cut across and looked like small rounds of beef with a white center. I have never had them. Back then and before we often laughed about eating everything except the squeal. People were hungry in that time. Even more so than mine. It was considered wastefull to thow out potential food.

I had ox tail soup at a friend's party one time. They are Chinese American. I imagine you can get them in a store that sells ethnic/Chinese food, if you have such a store near you. Here, there is a fairly large Chinese community and my partner is Chinese American. Duck feet and chicken feet are commonly served Dim Sum fares. Actually pretty good: it is the sauce they are cooked in that makes it.

I loved pickled pigs feed. It's still in our stores. Deep South. Oxtails. I thought everybody had them. Not cheap. About $9 lb. Rib eye is $8 down here. I saw Sunny prepare them on Food network. . But then she's a southern cook.
big_smile.png

I think I have the hens on left but most likely, when figuring winter and molt , only get about 190>200 Est. I think if the other only laid 7 then it has other problems besides "Type".
Note the Bi-line says " Ohio farmer makes good income from 200 hens" Good luck on that today even with 1000 LOL
Gotta remember back in early 1900s they were still selling a lot of snake oil. LOL
Well now I'm just putting the article out there. I can't vouch for it. Some articles talk of just 30 hens. Course a nickel bought quite a bit back then too. Still I find the information interesting.

You may be right about the hen and type thing. We do know quite a bit more science than we used to. Though I've had hens that didn't lay very well but seemed healthy just the same.

My CR's haven't laid in days. Only one seemed to be laying. I did make a change in the coop by getting rid of the ducks so maybe that is it. Always laid the egg right in front of the door. I did add a hen too.

Now I'll ask. I've got a Del hen with a black butt. Any ideas why? They're all on chick starter and I do think I've over done the scratch a bit. They've getting none for a few days. I've added some older chicks to the coop too so that might explain the drop in eggs but only a couple.

Back
Top Bottom