Delawares from kathyinmo

Something doesn't look quite right in the Delaware coop. Can you help me put my finger on it?
lau.gif

So instead of 10 more Delaware chicks, I have maybe half DelaMutts.

That shows me how good I am at figuring out who lays what egg. Glad I stopped setting clutches.
big_smile.png
yuckyuck.gif

We had the same problem so all the others are gone except two EEs - Even I can tell their eggs from the Dels

sadly I am going to cut my flock due to health reasons. I have 6 Delaware chicks which are 5th generation. The 4 are nice. I can not send pictures on this page. If interested a reg. email address will need to be sent to me. I also have 4 EE probably olive eggers sex is still unknown. Pick up will be necessary. I will give them to a good home. I am keeping one roo and two or three hens.
I also have a one yr. old white orp. hen to give away. I am in Franklin NC

sadly I am going to cut my flock due to health reasons. I have 6 Delaware chicks which are 5th generation. The 4 are nice. I can not send pictures on this page. If interested a reg. email address will need to be sent to me. I also have 4 EE probably olive eggers sex is still unknown. Pick up will be necessary. I will give them to a good home. I am keeping one roo and two or three hens.
I also have a one yr. old white orp. hen to give away. I am in Franklin NC
Well now my sister is in Franklin visiting my brother, but she'll be there for a couple of weeks. Since it's her first time flying I couldn't ask her to bring them back with her.
sad.png
It is a shame though.

One of the DelaMutts that just hatched in the breeding coop. Clearly the mother is one of the broodies with at least some California White in her. This is possibly the Cutest Chick Ever!

I'm actually excited about this cross. The mother was already a mutt, and the California Whites are some of my smartest hens next to the Freedom Mutts. I think this chick will be super savvy, so I hope it is female.

There are two black chicks and one with gray stripes, this one, and the rest are all buff. I can't wait to see how they grow out.

Yeah, I know about those Gremlins too. Breeding my Black Copper Marans Cock back to his four daughters this year produced 25 % white chicks. Now I am working to breed out the recessive white gene!

My New Hampshires, Solid type/colour Cock bred to four solid type/colour unrelated hens and out of over 30 cockerals none have a correctly coloured tail, all have tailfeathers bordered like the females should be. The males main tail feathers should be solid black.

The hatchery that is selling the cross, do you know if they are using a Del Cock over NH hens or the other way around? NH Cock over Del. Hens would produce sexlinks, all boys would be white and the girls would be red at hatch.
I'm currently crossing a nice New Hampshire cock over one of my better Delaware Hens (from my line). I'm hoping to widen the body, lengthen the back and open the tail. Most of the chicks from this crossing have turned out NH down colored but I have one that is more Delaware colored (more accurately wheaten colored) but they aren't old enough for me to determine what sex they are.

From the looks of the cackle hatchery website I could also make a cross of my Delaware Cock to a New Hampshire hen (hopefully with similar results of body width, length and tail) and be close to the color I need for true Delawares. I plan to take the offspring form this back to Barred Rocks to clean up any orange bleed out in the feathers and hopefully get closer to the color I need with the type I'm looking for. Not sure it's going to work but I'm giving it a try. This is all separate from my Kathy's birds.

I'd love to see your New Hampshires if you have them posted anywhere. I just got some earlier this year and I really like them. I'm currently growing out some barred rocks as well.

I'm currently crossing a nice New Hampshire cock over one of my better Delaware Hens (from my line). I'm hoping to widen the body, lengthen the back and open the tail. Most of the chicks from this crossing have turned out NH down colored but I have one that is more Delaware colored (more accurately wheaten colored) but they aren't old enough for me to determine what sex they are.

From the looks of the cackle hatchery website I could also make a cross of my Delaware Cock to a New Hampshire hen (hopefully with similar results of body width, length and tail) and be close to the color I need for true Delawares. I plan to take the offspring form this back to Barred Rocks to clean up any orange bleed out in the feathers and hopefully get closer to the color I need with the type I'm looking for. Not sure it's going to work but I'm giving it a try. This is all separate from my Kathy's birds.

I'd love to see your New Hampshires if you have them posted anywhere. I just got some earlier this year and I really like them. I'm currently growing out some barred rocks as well.
I read something on the old Delaware Poultry Club Website (the one where Walt Leonard would do critiques) where someone mentioned that the old timers would say to Cross your best Delaware Cock over a nice New Hampshire Hen to improve your Delawares. Let us know how your cross goes, I believe Har on here has made that cross (I think......)

If you go to the German New Hampshire thread on page 152 post #1518 you can see a picture of my cock bird and one of the four hens I used this year. The offspring are looking quite good, finally getting grown enough I can tell. Some colour issues in the cockerals tails but pullets are looking great. After the first round of culling recently, I have kept about 15 cockerals and 20 pullets left to pick for next seasons breeders, Dad/Daughters, Son/Mom-Aunts.

I read something on the old Delaware Poultry Club Website (the one where Walt Leonard would do critiques) where someone mentioned that the old timers would say to Cross your best Delaware Cock over a nice New Hampshire Hen to improve your Delawares.  Let us know how your cross goes, I believe Har on here has made that cross (I think......)

If you go to the German New Hampshire thread on page 152 post #1518 you can see a picture of my cock bird and one of the four hens I used this year.  The offspring are looking quite good, finally getting grown enough I can tell.  Some colour issues in the cockerals tails but pullets are looking great.  After the first round of culling recently, I have kept about 15 cockerals and 20 pullets left to pick for next seasons breeders, Dad/Daughters, Son/Mom-Aunts.

That's good to know! I'll let you know how this goes when I have some good information to pass along.

Thanks for pointing me to your German New
Hampshires. Nice looking birds! I sent you a PM of the German NH pair I'm working with. I still have a lot to learn about the New Hampshires.

so question with the dell to nh cross either way. will you just keep best lookin off spring and cross them to keep pure dels

so question with the dell to nh cross either way. will you just keep best lookin off spring and cross them to keep pure dels
For me, yes, the plan is to keep the offspring with he widest and deepest body and most spread out tail. I need to retain the silver gene which I think cleans up the orange from the New Hampshires so I may also cross them back into Barred Rocks as well either before or after taking them back to my line of Delawares... I'll be experimenting to see what gives me the best results. I have a crazy chart mapped out.. but plans and reality are two different things. I at least have in minds eye what I'm looking for.

Back
Top Bottom