Delawares from kathyinmo

Do you mind sharing what were your feed problems?

My pullets seem small, but my cockerels are okay ... currently just over 7 months, all eating the same rations.

We got an egg in the Delaware coop today. The size (44g) and location (floor by water fountain) suggests pullet. We also have the 2 hens in there.
wee.gif
We get a custom mix and we found out the minerals that were being used in it were expired. It was an accidental mix up when the feed store sold the mixing equipment to another local farm that is now doing our custom mixes. It's been fixed now but it took a toll on my birds this year.

I processed 4 Delaware cockerels yesterday and to be honest I'm a little disappointed with their weights. These boys were 7 months old. Processed weights were 3.1lbs, 4.24lbs, 4.03lbs, and 4.2lbs. I did have a feed issue this year but I also processed a Cuckoo Marans cockerel that weighed 5.25lbs. and he was just a couple weeks older than the Delawares. Any thoughts here?

Micheal - Here is the info summary from my F4 and F5 cockerel kill

12/5/13 seven F4 @ 37 weeks [ I held this longer than I would making assessments - all weights in pounds
Live weight High 7.56 [Rex] - Low live 6.0 Average 6.68 - Dressed- no neck or innards High 5.0 / low 4.13 average 4.49 [ average dressed weight is 67.2% of live]

11/12/14 seven F5 @ 27.5 weeks
Live weight high 7.87 / low 6.14 average 7.16 [ I did not weigh dressed weight but based on past average it would be about 4.81]

So 10 weeks sooner and bigger birds - don't ask me to explain - same food both years - only difference was time and the F5s were penned with Ernie our # 2 Cock - maybe
he kept law and order and kept the social order and less fighting - maybe they start running off weight after 27 weeks - maybe breeder selection - I just don't know.

Feed my Cockerels extra ration of Calf manna pro last 3 weeks and regular feed for all is Southern States "Rock n Rooster" pellets 24/7- daily serving spoon of 1 day fermented [ 6 wheat- 1 oats-1/2 corn ]- soaked with Vinegar w/mother. grain mix per bird - to that at serving I add about a half teaspoon of Calf mana pro per bird . Hens get oyster sheel free serve -
They are green grazed as available and get table scraps - some times pop a little popcorn treat -
Thats it.

If my calculations are correct, the "first egg" from this year's pullets (F5) is a minimum of 2 weeks earlier (age at POL) than from last year's (F4).

Of course there are more pullets in the pool this year (last year I only had the 2).

Last year my first pullet egg was 6 grams larger than this year's first pullet egg.

I processed 4 Delaware cockerels yesterday and to be honest I'm a little disappointed with their weights. These boys were 7 months old. Processed weights were 3.1lbs, 4.24lbs, 4.03lbs, and 4.2lbs. I did have a feed issue this year but I also processed a Cuckoo Marans cockerel that weighed 5.25lbs. and he was just a couple weeks older than the Delawares. Any thoughts here?

What did they look like dressed - I prefer a smaller plump bird than a big lanky one
These are F4s

The buying group where I sell eggs did pre-sale of Heritage Breed Turkeys for Thanksgiving this year. Many of those birds weighed in at around 6 lbs processed when they were delivered. I think people were expecting about double that, so there was some grumbling.

Maybe a 4-5 lb heritage breed chicken isn't so bad?

I think my one batch of Cornish Crosses weighed between 5 & 8 lbs processed (at 7 weeks). Of course the Cornish X have huge breasts, which looks a little different than Tom's photos.

The buying group where I sell eggs did pre-sale of Heritage Breed Turkeys for Thanksgiving this year. Many of those birds weighed in at around 6 lbs processed when they were delivered. I think people were expecting about double that, so there was some grumbling.

I think my one batch of Cornish Crosses weighed between 5 & 8 lbs processed (at 7 weeks). Of course the Cornish X have huge breasts, which looks a little different than Tom's photos.

Been there and tried the CornishX but didn't think it to be enjoyable raising or eating - the pastured ones weren't to bad tasting but the Del taste much better to me- the commercial Cornish X taste like water injected chicken with no flavor or texture - but to each his own and they are cheaper in the store than raise your own.

Been there and tried the CornishX but didn't think it to be enjoyable raising or eating - the pastured ones weren't to bad tasting but the Del taste much better to me- the commercial Cornish X taste like water injected chicken with no flavor or texture - but to each his own and they are cheaper in the store than raise your own.

In some ways I really liked the experience with the Cornish X, and I thought they were delicious. But ... raising them isn't really avoiding factory farming, IMO.

Got some amazing local grass-fed tenderloin this week through the food buying group where I sell eggs. I was expecting it to be chewy and maybe a little gamey, but it is the most tender & delicious tenderloin I've ever eaten.

I can't wait to try a Delaware cockerel. So far we've only eaten the Cornish X and mutt cockerels, BBB Turkeys, and one Pekin duck (tasted like prime rib, zero duck flavor, which was disappointing).

A 4-5# chicken is a nice size for a Dual purpose breed.

Back
Top Bottom