Delawares from kathyinmo

There is another thread "Breeding Delawares to the standard of perfection"
You might want to view that thread also.
Find a APA book SOP - that has all the details- not how you get there but what you are looking for.
Or you can ask Leslie she knows all that stuff by heart :lol:
yes i've seen that thread thanks. And yes I will need to get well informed. It will be nice to have this breed to try to get it to standard while at the same time use the culls to eat. I love that Idea.!

yes i've seen that thread thanks. And yes I will need to get well informed. It will be nice to have this breed to try to get it to standard while at the same time use the culls to eat. I love that Idea.!

If you want to see what you can make of a meat bird line, there is a larger operation I think in Trxas selling them ... Cobb Creek Farm. Their self-promotional materials says the birds get to eating size in 20 weeks. They have shown limited photos of their birds, and admit they are breeding them for performance as meet birds instead of conformation to the standard so the birds look too narrow to me. Hard to imagine a narrow bird being very meaty, but weirder things happen, so it might be fun to try those as you wait on Eight Acre Farms or Kathy's birds.

The farm is Cobb Creek Farm and if you google that with the wood "Delawares" you should find their website faster than I could look it up and post it here.

There is also a place called Whitmore Farms that people recommend. I believe they ship -- I've seen too little of their birds to know what they look like, but that's where Eight Acres got their start.

Finnfur is going to get me in trouble by pretending I actually know anything. He knows I'm new so keeps giving me giant reading assignments and threatening tests! :oops:

If you want to see what you can make of a meat bird line, there is a larger operation I think in Trxas selling them ... Cobb Creek Farm. Their self-promotional materials says the birds get to eating size in 20 weeks. They have shown limited photos of their birds, and admit they are breeding them for performance as meet birds instead of conformation to the standard so the birds look too narrow to me. Hard to imagine a narrow bird being very meaty, but weirder things happen, so it might be fun to try those as you wait on Eight Acre Farms or Kathy's birds.

The farm is Cobb Creek Farm and if you google that with the wood "Delawares" you should find their website faster than I could look it up and post it here.

There is also a place called Whitmore Farms that people recommend. I believe they ship -- I've seen too little of their birds to know what they look like, but that's where Eight Acres got their start.

Finnfur is going to get me in trouble by pretending I actually know anything. He knows I'm new so keeps giving me giant reading assignments and threatening tests! :oops:
thank you but that's ok I'll wait,i still have some chickens for me to reproduce and eat hatchery type that i got locally. And my leghorns which i love for being such a good layers i will eat the culls as well
1f601.png

Last edited:
thank you but that's ok I'll wait,i still have some chickens for me to reproduce and eat hatchery type that i got locally. And my leghorns wich i love for being such a good layers i will it the culls as well
1f601.png
I know that Privet Hatchery in NM has a Delaware line that they say is pretty old. It is definitely not SOP right now and I assume is generally intended as a layer flock. I do not know how its boys turn out but Ive considered Ordering a batch of 25 or so Straight run next year to see how much variety they have in their stock.(All 4 of my birds from there are very different). Im taking my 2 best birds from my 4 and going to cross them with the Roo that Niel has from Kathys line and the boy we have from Jules (@fortyfivefarm ) own breeding program and see what we get. (not planning on mixing the lines further at this point) Ill work on Kathys line but probably introduce birds from her line into the other ones I create. Just to see if I can improve on those lines.

The more I see of Kathy's (Kims) birds though the more I like them.

There is a woman on the Delaware group facebook page that ordered Delaware chicks from at least two sources ... one of which is Eight Acres ... and has decided she has too many for herself and would love to share. I think she lives in Mississippi? I've asked her to keep us posted about how they mature, and am impatiently awaiting the passage of time for the photos and info she'll provide. Should be very informative!

Last edited:
I know that Privet Hatchery in NM has a Delaware line that they say is pretty old. It is definitely not SOP right now and I assume is generally intended as a layer flock. I do not know how its boys turn out but Ive considered Ordering a batch of 25 or so Straight run next year to see how much variety they have in their stock.(All 4 of my birds from there are very different). Im taking my 2 best birds from my 4 and going to cross them with the Roo that Niel has from Kathys line and the boy we have from Jules (@fortyfivefarm
 ) own breeding program and see what we get. (not planning on mixing the lines further at  this point) Ill work on Kathys line but  probably introduce birds from her line into the other ones I create. Just to see if I can improve on those lines.

The more I see of Kathy's (Kims) birds  though the more I like them.
well you have to work with what you have, ok if your hens are from pivet and they're all different and you like from Kathyinmo and have access to a male. why order more from pivet? . don't have to do that. I suggest just cross your best 2 with Kathyinmo rooster get best pullet from each breed them again with the sire this will be 3/4 Kathyinmo. Then cross best pullet (1/2 Kathyinmo 1/2pivet) with best cockerel from other pivet hen(also 1/2 and 1/2) this product apparently will be same 1/2 and 1/2 but it's not the same then cross the best pullet with grandpa Kathyinmo this will be also 3/4 Kathyinmo 1/4 pivet but will have different results.

well you have to work with what you have, ok if your hens are from pivet and they're all different and you like from Kathyinmo and have access to a male. why order more from pivet? . don't have to do that. I suggest just cross your best 2 with Kathyinmo rooster get best pullet from each breed them again with the sire this will be 3/4 Kathyinmo. Then cross best pullet (1/2 Kathyinmo 1/2pivet) with best cockerel from other pivet hen(also 1/2 and 1/2) this product apparently will be same 1/2 and 1/2 but it's not the same then cross the best pullet with grandpa Kathyinmo this will be also 3/4 Kathyinmo 1/4 pivet but will have different results.
Its more for informational purposes. I wanted to take a larger sampling of their stock. I wanted to know how their boys turn out too and since I don't have one id just get a lot of straight run and just see how they are. Ill process the extras for meat and or add them to a layer flock as they are good layers.

Back
Top Bottom