Delawares from kathyinmo

Ok I have been trying to work as Tommy Del-a-seed- following have F5/6 chicks- might be helpful to put approx location- 
@kayakfish
 - Cumberland VA - 4H project
@Barred Rocker
 N. east VA
@rancher hicks
 - NY
@KittieChick
- East central NC
@newmanmichael
 Panhandle FL

Also known to have this line- 
@NYREDS
 NY think F3 or 4

Also the lady in FL but don't think pure anymore

And the foremost originator

@kathyinmo
 - Nothing in moderation in MO

Thats all I can think of at the moment

I'm in the Pensacola area. I have a cockerel and about 5 pullets.

I thunk Mr Fatty is getting fatter. It should be his first birthday soon.

Walt,
Well said! If a line has few genetic defects a high inbreeding coefficient should not much matter as birds showing deleterious genetic problems do so generally by phenotypic exposure. These sign posts are an indication that culling is in order. Just keep culling, success will follow eventually. Introducing new genetic lines in a population of birds which have been culled properly is only asking for trouble. The genetic load (incidence of deleterious genes) can only go up in probability by such a reckless procedure. Good call Walt!
Neal, the Zooman

I have this line also. Last fall I lost my rooster. I missed him so bad that Kathy sent me eggs to hatch. They are on their last wk and I am hoping to get a rooster or two . I will choose the best of them.. I am not a serious breeder, do not ship eggs or chicks. I am just an old lady who loves her chickens and likes them to be pretty. I do however let eggs hatch and choose the ones I want to keep. Love this line. They are so friendly. they don't seem to want to be picked up but are right at my feet when i go to feed or clean up. They love to forage( although the guy from npip testing usses if he finds out that I have let them do so occ. Unfortunately there are ducks who come over from next door so I have not let them out since this h5n1 strain of virus has started up. Masybr again this winter I will let them out for some free rangeing. They have at present a large covered run and shed area too. Good luck everyone with these beautiful birds.

Updated List (though some of the formatting is getting messed up due to copy & paste

Line Originator
@kathyinmo (lost best birds due to predators, but is hatching some again this year)

Breeders who got boxes of F4 chicks from Kathy in 2013 and are breeding to keep the line pure:

@capayvalleychick
@Zanna
@finnfur (South Central VA, who isn't hatching himself this season)

People who received Kathy's LIne Delawares from one of the original recipients of the F4s

From Zanna ... @LeslieDJoyce (nearish Portland, OR got a trio of the original F4s)

From finnfur ... spreading F5/6 around the lower East Coast
@kayakfish - Cumberland VA - 4H project
@Barred Rocker N. east VA
@rancher hicks - NY
@KittieChick - East central NC
@newmanmichael Pensacola FL area ... has a breeding colony

From capayvalleychick (correct me if this is incorrect)
@caychris
and
@1zooman12
(the two breeders above are working together with both Kathy's Line birds and another line ... hoping to breed some pure eventually)

Others?

@Jake Levi (got hatching eggs from Kathy, not sure what stage)
@NYREDS (NY think F3 or 4)

People who got Kathy's Line birds either directly or indirectly, but are no longer working with them ...

@Beekissed (chose another breed to work with)
@desertmarcy (got some chicks from Mahonri, is no longer working with Delawares)
@Mahonri (moved and had to disperse all his chicks)

People who suffered losses in their flock so hit a wall, but still keep some:
@crazyhen (lost her cock, but Kathy recently sent her hatching eggs!)

Last edited:
Was re-reading another Delaware thread here, and found this tidbit from @cpartist

"I am not sure if you guys are aware, but in [Kathy's] first F1 cross, her odds were 1 in 84 to get a useable female. I think she ended up with 2 females out of 116 to go forward with. THAT is dedication."

Incentive to keep the line going.

I'm really excited about this year.

Updated List (though some of the formatting is getting messed up due to copy & paste

Line Originator
@kathyinmo (lost best birds due to predators, but is hatching some again this year)

Breeders who got boxes of F4 chicks from Kathy in 2013 and are breeding to keep the line pure:

@capayvalleychick
@Zanna
@finnfur (South Central VA, who isn't hatching himself this season)

People who received Kathy's LIne Delawares from one of the original recipients of the F4s

From Zanna ... @LeslieDJoyce (nearish Portland, OR got a trio of the original F4s)

From finnfur ... spreading F5/6 around the lower East Coast
@kayakfish - Cumberland VA - 4H project
@Barred Rocker N. east VA
@rancher hicks - NY
@KittieChick - East central NC
@newmanmichael Pensacola FL area ... has a breeding colony

From capayvalleychick (correct me if this is incorrect)
@caychris
and
@1zooman12
(the two breeders above are working together with both Kathy's Line birds and another line ... hoping to breed some pure eventually)

Others?

@Jake Levi (got hatching eggs from Kathy, not sure what stage)
@NYREDS (NY think F3 or 4)

People who got Kathy's Line birds either directly or indirectly, but are no longer working with them ...

@Beekissed (chose another breed to work with)
@desertmarcy (got some chicks from Mahonri, is no longer working with Delawares)
@Mahonri (moved and had to disperse all his chicks)

People who suffered losses in their flock so hit a wall, but still keep some:
@crazyhen (lost her cock, but Kathy recently sent her hatching eggs!)
Thanks for this Im excited for this year even though we wont get to hatching till a bit later but by next year we should have things set up very well to make a contribution to the line. (And to Delawares as a whole.)

Back
Top Bottom