Delawares from kathyinmo

I have a Boham Flock that are 13 weeks old, and I am selling all of them due to time restrictions, and the lost interest of the local 4-hers that I started this flock for.
I live in Cumberland VA and I have 2 roosters, and 9 hens left.
All 11 for $200.00 or $25.00 each, these birds came from FinnFurs stock.

I read this over in another thread ... Kathy's Line Delawares available ... if someone lives in VA or want to pay to have them vetted for transport across state lines.

Speaking of cooking Turkey. Not having our own raised for the occasion we usually get a store bought one when they go on sale after the holiday and it spends nearly a year in the freezer

We slow cook it using the following method

We brine the turkey for about 18 hours in a mix of sugar salt orange and tangarine/cuties juice laying on a bed of tangerine peals and cloves

I create a spice blend of the following Jonnys great ceasar garlic spread mix, Pampered Chef Citrus Basil, McCormik Rotisserie Chicken Spice.

When it comes out of the brine i rinse it then I pour and coat some of that inside the bird then stuff the inside with half an onion/ white or yellow 2-3 celery leaf on stalks cut into about 3rds and about 3-4 cloves of cracked garlic and 1 cube of frozen butter.

Then is crush 3-4 cloves of garlic into a cube of melted butter and coat the outside of the bird. then sprinkle the spice blend on the resto of the bird.

We then place the bird breast now into a Stoneware bowl
(http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-in-box-...740?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cfb86887c)

Then I use a second one and cover it

We bake it for one hour at 400 then drop the temp to 200 for 10-12 hours.

You will have to check and remove liquid every few hours or it will over flow your oven.\

You cannot carve the bird that comes out you will simply pick the bones out. In fact you probably cant get the whole bird out of the bowl without it falling apart.
It is the most tender flavorful juicy turkey I have ever had. Not good if you like a nice crisp brown skin on your turkey though.

Im sure the bones and remaining stuff make great turkey based stock.

We get so much meat off the bird this way that we end up chop/grinding some of the stuff and freeze it to use it like ground turkey for hamburger helper like dishes we make from scratch.

Sorry for the diversion

Last edited:
Speaking of cooking Turkey. Not having our own raised for the occasion we usually get a store bought one when they go on sale after the holiday and it spends nearly a year in the freezer

We slow cook it using the following method

We brine the turkey for about 18 hours in a mix of sugar salt orange and tangarine/cuties juice laying on a bed of tangerine peals and cloves

I create a spice blend of the following Jonnys great ceasar garlic spread mix, Pampered Chef Citrus Basil, McCormik Rotisserie Chicken Spice.

When it comes out of the brine i rinse it then I pour and coat some of that inside the bird then stuff the inside with half an onion/ white or yellow 2-3 celery leaf on stalks cut into about 3rds and about 3-4 cloves of cracked garlic and 1 cube of frozen butter.

Then is crush 3-4 cloves of garlic into a cube of melted butter and coat the outside of the bird. then sprinkle the spice blend on the resto of the bird.

We then place the bird breast now into a Stoneware bowl
(http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-in-box-...740?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cfb86887c)

Then I use a second one and cover it

We bake it for one hour at 400 then drop the temp to 200 for 10-12 hours.

Im sure the bones and remaining stuff make great turkey based stock.

I had to part the bird for obvious reasons. Here he is resting in my sink after I hauled him out of his brine bath. I have a large and super deep sink.

I melted butter with lots of herbs, salt, pepper and poured it over the bird before roasting. I roasted it covered with foil, not too hot, and only until done.

This is what I got ... not including the wings and big bits I cut off his back (you can see like a whole chicken's worth of meat down his spine). We'd already had sandwiches off part of one thigh ...

The dark meat is delicious as expected. The breast is super tasty, particularly the parts that were closer to the brine/butter ... I'm not normally a big fan of home-cooked turkey breast. For me the best part is what's in that vat ... the pan drippings turn into a lovely golden layer of schmaltz that I use for cooking, and jellied juices that I can use like super rich broth. I don't normally love the flavor of turkey fat, but I added SO much butter this time that the schmaltz delicious.

I made turkey pot pie filling yesterday, the gravy part of it was just the jellied juices, no milk/cream, and it was SO delicious I'd eat it as is, probably over pasta or rice. I made a savory custard out of it, which was good but the plain filling was better. Did I say that already?

I'm going to make more pot-pie filling again today with the cream, just for scientific comparison purposes.

Then the next time I'll make a pot pie with traditional crust, and then one with puff pastry.

It's good to do thorough research.

Well as a result of the FB discussion on vigor I am more and more convinced that working with just Kathys birds for at least the next few years is the way to go.

Ambition/enthusiasm and reality do not always meet eye to eye it just never clicked how rare these birds were. Even though Im working with culls I should be able to do something.

Hoping to get a hatch of pure Kathy birds by end of Sept.

Well as a result of the FB discussion on vigor I am more and more convinced that working with just Kathys birds for at least the next few years is the way to go.

Ambition/enthusiasm and reality do not always meet eye to eye it just never clicked how rare these birds were. Even though Im working with culls I should be able to do something. 

Hoping to get a hatch of pure Kathy birds by end of Sept.

That's nice. And maybe if you do a good job with them, commit to them and have good facilities, maybe Kim will share more birds with you.

The line shows a lot of promise, but it is in a precarious position at the moment. We need trustworthy breeders committed to the project.

This list was created a few weeks ago to point out how few people have ever had Kathy's Line Delawares. And few of the people on this list are actively working to improve them. It is a VERY precarious situation at the moment.

Updated List (though some of the formatting is getting messed up due to copy & paste

Line Originator
@kathyinmo
 (lost best birds due to predators, but is hatching some again this year)

Breeders who got boxes of F4 chicks from Kathy in 2013 and are breeding to keep the line pure:

@capayvalleychick

@Zanna

@finnfur
 (South Central VA, who isn't hatching himself this season)

People who received Kathy's LIne Delawares from one of the original recipients of the F4s

From Zanna ... @LeslieDJoyce
 (nearish Portland, OR got a trio of the original F4s)

From finnfur ... spreading F5/6 around the lower East Coast
@kayakfish
 - Cumberland VA - 4H project
@Barred Rocker
 N. east VA
@rancher hicks
 - NY
@KittieChick
- East central NC
@newmanmichael
 Pensacola FL area ... has a breeding colony

From capayvalleychick (correct me if this is incorrect)
@caychris

and
@1zooman12

(the two breeders above are working together with both Kathy's Line birds and another line ... hoping to breed some pure eventually)

Others?

@Jake Levi
 (got hatching eggs from Kathy, not sure what stage)
@NYREDS
 (NY think F3 or 4)

People who got Kathy's Line birds either directly or indirectly, but are no longer working with them ...

@Beekissed
 (chose another breed to work with)
@desertmarcy
(got some chicks from Mahonri, is no longer working with Delawares)
@Mahonri
(moved and had to disperse all his chicks)

People who suffered losses in their flock so hit a wall, but still keep some:
@crazyhen
 (lost her cock, but Kathy recently sent her hatching eggs!)

This list was created a few weeks ago to point out how few people have ever had Kathy's Line Delawares. And few of the people on this list are actively working to improve them. It is a VERY precarious situation at the moment.
correct at this point Neal and I only have a cock from Kathys line and 4 hens between us from Kims culls. We do have some other del girls but the plan is to breed only Kathys initially. We were going to breed the other cock to the hatchery dels before we lost him.

Part of today's hatch. Really hot in there. I hope they make it.

Back
Top Bottom