Delawares from kathyinmo

Yes but now its half way up the back - first I have seen of this - maybe check some archive photos see if previous chicks show this .

Rodents?

Someone's been testing explosives in her bum?

Her back half really does look like "cockerel" to me. Maybe that's all it is.

You cannot imagine the things that went through my mind last year while I hoped & waited for tails ...

I don't have any of Kathy's line, but I did have one of my chicks this year come out almost looking like a Frizzle across the back and into the tail. After about a month it settled down and now you can't tell or see anything untoward at all.

I think at night chickens are "sitting ducks." A buffet table for anything that can get at them. Even things they would normally eat.

Well I set the game cam on video a entire night/day and bored myself with 258 videos last night.
Should have popped some corn. I have one restless hen that set off the the camera every fifteen minutes .
She must be the night guard.
But no critters appeared.
thumbsup.gif

I've got something pretty exciting in the works ... a birthday present to me. In mid September, I'm going to have a local breeder/poultry judge up to talk to me, @Zanna , and the youth poultry enthusiast I donated a starter trio of Delawares to this spring. He says he does a 4 hour first consultation where he goes over lots of things. He'll help us sort some breeders and culls.

Based on that meeting, I'll choose at least a cockerel to share with the youth ... the cockerel I had selected to donate this spring developed a tail issue, so I had to swap him out for a less-nice-but-less-fatally-flawed cull and a promise to get her a better bird this fall. Whatever bird(s) we pick out for the youth will be the bird(s) I enter in the local fall poultry show, and after that show, the youth will take the bird(s) home.

The youth I donated the trio to in spring has already set up a little business selling chicks. I'm going to encourage her to get NPIP certified so she can ship. If she can do that, it would be great to have a place to send all the people looking for "Kathy's Line" Delawares.

I've got something pretty exciting in the works ... a birthday present to me. In mid September, I'm going to have a local breeder/poultry judge up to talk to me, @Zanna , and the youth poultry enthusiast I donated a starter trio of Delawares to this spring. He says he does a 4 hour first consultation where he goes over lots of things. He'll help us sort some breeders and culls.

Based on that meeting, I'll choose at least a cockerel to share with the youth ... the cockerel I had selected to donate this spring developed a tail issue, so I had to swap him out for a less-nice-but-less-fatally-flawed cull and a promise to get her a better bird this fall. Whatever bird(s) we pick out for the youth will be the bird(s) I enter in the local fall poultry show, and after that show, the youth will take the bird(s) home.

The youth I donated the trio to in spring has already set up a little business selling chicks. I'm going to encourage her to get NPIP certified so she can ship. If she can do that, it would be great to have a place to send all the people looking for "Kathy's Line" Delawares.
Excellent.

Thanks for taking your time and talent and " passing it forward " to help with 4H.
I was in 4H when I worked on a farm at 13 years old and it gave me experiences and knowledge
to carry forward in life. Great organization.

Thanks for taking your time and talent and " passing it forward " to help with 4H.
I was in 4H when I worked on a farm at 13 years old and it gave me experiences and knowledge
to carry forward in life. Great organization.

It was @Zanna that made it even possible by sharing a trio with me then coming up here all the time to help me. She's been generous with her birds and her time.

I'm really hoping we can keep these Delawares going. By establishing pockets of cooperative breeders in different areas, we have a solid chance of moving forward.

4-H is awesome. I did horse 4-H a little as a kid. I worry that these days not as many kids get to participate as fewer people have a couple acres to put pigs and cows on. I guess that makes poultry and rabbits more viable?

I think the APA/ABA have some really good youth programs, too. I know the kid who "won" the Delaware trio has already had the opportunity to work with the judge who will be coming up here to consult with us a couple times ... probably for showmanship stuff? ... I met him very briefly at the youth poultry fundraiser activity day, and thought he was awesome. He raises some STUNNING birds, and I've liked what he's posted at the local poultry club facebook page a lot.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom