Delawares from kathyinmo

We got our NPIP number. We bought an incubator and a hatcher and chick heat plates. We hatched a small batch of F7 Delawares (Kathy's Line). We're building a brooder fort on the back deck where I can keep an eye on the chicks. I'm going to try to wing band that first batch of chicks today. Lots of stuff going on and keeping us very busy.

I'm not especially looking forward to doing the wing bands, but I will be happy to have the IDs in place for future reference.

We got our NPIP number. We bought an incubator and a hatcher and chick heat plates. We hatched a small batch of F7 Delawares (Kathy's Line). We're building a brooder fort on the back deck where I can keep an eye on the chicks. I'm going to try to wing band that first batch of chicks today. Lots of stuff going on and keeping us very busy.

I'm not especially looking forward to doing the wing bands, but I will be happy to have the IDs in place for future reference.

Once you do a few it will become easy - I put the band in pliers and dip in peroxide 50/50 - prevent infection and transfer of germs. Get er done
yesss.gif

Once you do a few it will become easy - I put the band in pliers and dip in peroxide 50/50 - prevent infection and transfer of germs. Get er done :yesss:

So I have the wing bands and peroxide ... but the chick's wings are TINY! I just don't think I can do it this early. :/

The chicks are pretty good weights, I think. A Facebook friend gave me criteria for assessing day-old broilers, and these guys weights are good. But, tiny wings.

So I have the wing bands and peroxide ... but the chick's wings are TINY! I just don't think I can do it this early.
hmm.png

The chicks are pretty good weights, I think. A Facebook friend gave me criteria for assessing day-old broilers, and these guys weights are good. But, tiny wings.

Wait then - I some times do it up to 2 weeks but there is more empty space available in the band with small wings.
Less chance of cutting a tendon on the front edge of the wing. IMHO
Yes it looks big on them at first but they grow into them in no time. Then the problem is finding the band in the feathers.
big_smile.png

Wait then - I some times do it up to 2 weeks but there is more empty space available in the band with small wings.
Less chance of cutting a tendon on the front edge of the wing. IMHO
Yes it looks big on them at first but they grow into them in no time. Then the problem is finding the band in the feathers. :D

Do you have any photos of a wing band on a day-old Delaware from this line? I think seeing that might make me feel better.

Do you have any photos of a wing band on a day-old Delaware from this line? I think seeing that might make me feel better.

No but here are pics of National band on some day olds - I would think large fowl chick will all be similar as far as bandind- the national tag I think is even a little bigger than the jiffy https://nationalband.com/wing-band-instructions/

Edited to add: Just send them to us - we will tag em
highfive.gif

Last edited:
You crack me up.

Doesn't National band sell both Zip and Jiffy "brands?" They come in the same box, sounds like the same factory. I haven't quite figured out the family tree on how the difference between the brands all works. I even called Natiinal ...

I chose the one that is supposedly less likely to come off.

I watched several videos, from their website and also on YouTube.

I'm having a real mental block on this. I've had SO much to learn and organize and arrange lately. It's getting to me.

If I could hold a chick and a band and take a picture your perhaps see why I'm concerned.

Or maybe my eyes are just not up to this particular task.

I am not sure if same company or not - The Nationals I am referring to you push thru and then crimp a tab that is inserted in the hole[ same as the NPIP leg bands ]
If you have a problem with eyes just get someone else to apply while you hold chick,

Both Zip and Jiffy brands work roughly the same way, and both seem to be manufactured by National Band and Tag Co in Kentucky. As far as I can tell.

One style comes with special pliers that you put the band in, and then "staple" on the wing. The others are pushed through by hand ... and then some have a grommet-type closure are crimped closed with a tool, but some are "tab end" style and folded over and squeezed shut by hand.

I've seen videos of how to apply all three "styles."

Different brands, different styles, but all appear to be the same manufacturer ... National Band and Tag Company.

https://nationalband.com/

This video shows the box the wing bands come, which supports my claim that "they're all the same manufacturer."

Both Zip and Jiffy brands work roughly the same way, and both seem to be manufactured by National Band and Tag Co in Kentucky. As far as I can tell.

One style comes with special pliers that you put the band in, and then "staple" on the wing. The others are pushed through by hand ... and then some have a grommet-type closure are crimped closed with a tool, but some are "tab end" style and folded over and squeezed shut by hand.

I've seen videos of how to apply all three "styles."

Different brands, different styles, but all appear to be the same manufacturer ... National Band and Tag Company.

https://nationalband.com/

This video shows the box the wing bands come, which supports my claim that "they're all the same manufacturer."

OK sounds right to me - I wasn't sure who made all three styles-
I think the two applied with pliers would be more secure- the leg bands from the NPIP ID are applied with the pliers [ grommet style you refer to ]
Never lost one except in the "plucker" and any would most likely come loose then.

Back
Top Bottom