Delawares! What do YOU think? Im not impressed....at all

that is definitely encouraging....my little chicks are so sweet and so cute...i cant even stand the thought of getting rid of a bunch because theyre not "good" enough even tho if i have to thats what ill do...but NOBODY IS ALOUD TO EAT THEM!!!!!!!!!!! i dont care who they are or how much they pay...thats my rule! But, so far I dont have to worry about that bc as of now...theyre all staying!!
wink.png

Quote:
CovenantCreek, that's a pretty good-looking rooster. Better than most you see. He's a nice, big, deep-bodied guy like the standard calls for. Tail markings and head remind me of Braden stock. He's only got two flaws worth speaking of: his wing position needs to be higher, and his tail has washed out or blurred feathers, maybe a crooked main tail feather or two. But as far as the main thing goes--his body type--he's built well.

Last edited:
I completely agree with Janet-he has a good stocky body. I didn't notice the wing position, so that's something I'll make a note of in my Delaware education. I did notice the washed out sickles-my BR roosters usually have one of those, so I zeroed in on it. All in all, he is way better than many I've seen from hatcheries.

Thanks Cynthia and Janet. Not knowing anything about the standard, I did think his tail feathers probably wouldn't make the grade. I can see how low his wings are, I'll be sure to look for a higher wing if I continue with Delawares after I get moved.

Would you be willing to critique some of the hens if I can get really good pics of them?

Quote:
Thanks for all the compliments guys! I think the second one, Sophie is prettier too. She has a greenish cast to her legs though and Lulu's are bright yellow. Sophie is a much cleaner white, Lulu has an brownish cast to her feathers on her shoulders.

The one in the backround on the fourth pic is a Silver Lakenvelder, also from Privett.

They are the only two Delawares I ordered. I went through a feed store, not directly from the hatchery. But I know they came from Privett because they were still in the shipping box when I picked them up.

Baby pics of the two girls;

Lulu
Lulu10.jpg

Lulu.jpg

Sophie
Sophie8.jpg

Sophie.jpg

Hey Everybody

If you follow the link, you can see the pic of the roo that kryptonite is getting on Wednesday from me.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=85738

He is the one in the first picture (with the striped tail). The one in the second picture became dinner. This roo is huge. He is broad chested and very gentle towards people. He doesn't get to pushy with the hens either. Just a gentleman.(LOL if that is what you can call it). I just wanted to put the link up so someone might do a little critiqueing.

lds_horselover2005

oooooooooooo im so excited!!! he really is beautiful!! im glad you put that up there, I would certainly like to hear what people have to say about him, he sure does look huge!! Any idea how much he weighs? Im glad hes sweet too....forgot about that part lol...i was so caught up in his looks haha....is he easy to catch? OOOOOOOO hey! do you need any buff orp roos by any chance??? bc if u do i know someone who is giving them away and can bring them with me to frederick on wednesday! im sure u dont want anymore roos but thought id ask just incase
wink.png

I was looking at Delawares on Feathersite, and there was this link:
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGD/Dels/Hoffmann.html
which is an article about the origin of the breed.

CovenantCreek, I don't know about the body shape, or wing position, I'm just beginning to learn the standards for several breeds. But according to this article, the coloring of your roo is good. They aren't supposed to have solid black in the tails, wings, and neck areas, like the Columbian color pattern. It's supposed to be barring, which is what you have. If I understand correctly, anyway.

Seriousbill, am I mistaken on that? What do you think of Braden's birds?

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes, the males are supposed to have barred tails, with the black barring predominating (so you want more black than white in the tail). But the females are supposed to have main tail feathers that are black just edged or laced with white. The hackle (neck) feathers on the female, however, should be barred like the male. The double standard of tail color poses one of the big challenges for Delaware breeding.

I can't see the chest on the bird in that photo, but I can see that his wings are too low. Doesn't look like a bad bird, though, from what I can tell. If I'm really nitpicking, I'd say his tail angle and shank color could be better. Looks like his head is pretty good.

Bill Braden's birds, from what I have seen, have good body type, and that is key. The birds in the pictures I've seen have some minor flaws, like too many comb points on the females and really light shank color on the roo I've seen. But you could do a lot worse than buy from Land of Tobe. I don't like to criticize his birds too much, because mine have some of the same flaws at this point (comb points on females). I'm working on it, and I'm sure he is too.

Back
Top Bottom