Delawares

He's definitely a boy. Full on crowing, and trying to jump the ladies. He's rather fond of one of my Delawares. She wants nothing tò do with him.

It hasn't stopped him from trying. He definitely hasn't got his moves down to attract the ladies.

He's definitely a boy. Full on crowing, and trying to jump the ladies. He's rather fond of one of my Delawares. She wants nothing tò do with him.

It hasn't stopped him from trying. He definitely hasn't got his moves down to attract the ladies.
Sometimes they have to learn thats also an indication of him being young and inexperienced

I am not sure this guy is even a year old, as he was just deposited here. He is getting black speckles around his shoulder/neck area. He's got bars on his tail feathers. I am certain he's a run-of-the-mill rooster, and I am still hoping his owner will reclaim him. He's nice for a rooster, but still. .. :)

Last edited:

He is either just a poor quality Delaware or a cross. The Delaware color pattern comes out in crosses with all sorts of other colors, so you can cross and you'll still get a bird that looks pretty much like a Delaware. I hatched a male that had Delaware, Blue Laced Red Wyandotte, Blue Ameraucana and Splash Plymouth Rock and he STILL looked like a Delaware, LOL.

This breed was almost extinct when hatcheries outcrossed to other breeds like Production Reds and Columbian Rocks and ruined the Delaware type so hatchery Delawares do vary a lot.

That is a delaware roo. He looks just like my hatchery roo. He is not a good roo but he is my daughters pet so we keep him. People dump them because they don't want to keep them but can't kill them themselves. This is a picture of my roo.

I was wondering if I could ask a delaware chick question. I got my trio for eggs and pets and then someone approached me about getting a few of my birds chicks and I agreed so I could see what their chick would look like. Well out of 11 chicks 10 are beautiful delawares but 1 chick was born with a red tint to its feathers. It looks just like a delaware just red. Is this normal? I am not sure what to do. Do I call it a red delaware? I would greatly appreciate any advise please.

I was wondering if I could ask a delaware chick question. I got my trio for eggs and pets and then someone approached me about getting a few of my birds chicks and I agreed so I could see what their chick would look like. Well out of 11 chicks 10 are beautiful delawares but 1 chick was born with a red tint to its feathers. It looks just like a delaware just red. Is this normal? I am not sure what to do. Do I call it a red delaware? I would greatly appreciate any advise please.

No, you can't call it a Red Delaware. It's not a Delaware at all, I'm afraid. Could be a production red or a cross of some kind. There is only one color Delaware, the Columbian-restricted, silver based white.

That is a delaware roo. He looks just like my hatchery roo. He is not a good roo but he is my daughters pet so we keep him. People dump them because they don't want to keep them but can't kill them themselves. This is a picture of my roo.
I see no barring in his tail and hackles so he's definitely not pure Delaware. Delaware males must have barred tail feathers and hackles. But, if he's a good pet rooster, he's worth his weight in gold! Super cute picture!

Isaac, whose painting is my avatar. Though his tail was on the dark side, all feathers were definitely barred.

Last edited:
More than anything the breeding pair this chick came from are probably not pure delaware. There are a lot of Delaware NH crosses that are sold as delawares and look like it the delaware genetics could throw mutts like this if they are close to initial cross or have been bred back to NH within a generation or so.

Back
Top Bottom