Delawares

So you're talking about hens, not roosters. That makes a huge difference too. I've raised hatchery Delaware before. The cockerels made a good meal around 16 to 22 weeks but the hens never got any size to speak of. My wife and I can normally get two meals out of an old hen but the second meal is some meat in soup. With a 18 week old cockerel we'll get the same two meals but I'll eat chicken for lunch two or three times also.

Those Cornish Cross show you why the Delaware are no longer raised for meat. Nothing can compete with the broilers for putting on meat efficiently.

yep....very true. The first time I raised Cornish Rock crosses, I swore I'd never do it again because they were so freakish. But when we processed them, I was so pleased with the yield and the flavor that I have changed my mind. I actually have a batch now that I bought over the weekend for VERY cheap ($3 each). They are ready to process now.

I believe Luanne's birds after seeing them, are off the chart, because of her breeding program. She uses the biggest and the best to get the size. Her birds are big.

I have one Delaware, about 12 weeks, She looks big size wise but she's really skinny. I don't think worms, none of her clutch mates are skinny.

Delawares are large birds, do the develop like Jersey Giants, skeletal cage then they fill out?

Back
Top Bottom