DelawaresxCornish???

I haven't weighed them yet. I just got them in April and just getting started. I am going to the National Cornish show, leaving in the morning, and hope to bring back a few more. Maybe later after I get a little production going we could

Quote:
I was meaning cheaper to buy the chicks. Than to have to feed parent stock. I know its not cheap to grow them.

im not trying to start an argument hear but... 3000 @ 1:50 each = 4500 dollars... seems to me you could keep 2 flocks of the parent stock... say a flock of 20 or so of the male line and 60 of the hen line cheaper than that... idk tho you would have to have the coops for them and a large incubator and feed them all year... so maby your right hmmmm... i need to look into this farther... i need to brake it down to how many you would need to raise a year to make it worth your while to keep the parent stock... because if you only raise a few (50 or 100) a year it defiantly would not be worth it ...

the ppl that i know that do 3000 a year do about 250 week for 3 months... so they would have to have about 35 eggs a day to hatch for 3 months... so say 50 hens and 6 roosters of the parent birds... and of course you have to have the roosters and hens of the parent lines and hatch a few of them each year to...

lots to think about
wink.png
wink.png
wink.png

Yeah if ya think about it, for mass production there has to be some profit there, otherwise why would the "big" corporations be doing it. Hmmm... something to ponder. Getting feed in bulk really can affect costs vs us buying from local feed stores. Makes you wonder how much they mark up a bag of feed.

Quote:
the feed store i used to work at marked theirs up 20%... but it costs more from the mill because of the bag and labor involved... so buying in bulk saves in more ways than one
smile.png
(and usually about 50% in cost)

wow, 50%. That's nice! 20% mark up, not as bad as I was thinking. I price check several feed stores locally, they can vary as much as +/- 5.00 a bag for the same brand. The one I use is pretty fair with prices.

Quote:
yikes lol i just did the math... 250 eggs x 21 days to hatch you would have to have an incubator that holds 750 plus eggs... i don't even want to know what that costs lol... i guess i need to get into making incubators too so i could sell as a package deal
big_smile.png

Quote:
yikes lol i just did the math... 250 eggs x 21 days to hatch you would have to have an incubator that holds 750 plus eggs... i don't even want to know what that costs lol... i guess i need to get into making incubators too so i could sell as a package deal
big_smile.png

Dang, That would be quite the bator. Hatcheries must have quite a few of those. Wonder where you could get one that size.

Quote:
they don't make as much as you would think ether my ex boss had to sell 1500 bags of feed each month just to pay the rent on the building he was in... he was only making about the same amount of money per year as he was paying me...

If you are buying 3000 chicks (Cornish x) at a time, the per chick cost can be as low as 52 cents each (straight run). I would shop around and haggle for the best possible price. If you’re not locked into a given number of chicks sometimes you can buy what is unsold for even cheaper per bird price. The smaller hatcheries are more motivated to make such deals for unsold chicks.

Back
Top Bottom