DelawaresxCornish???

Quote:
they don't make as much as you would think ether my ex boss had to sell 1500 bags of feed each month just to pay the rent on the building he was in... he was only making about the same amount of money per year as he was paying me...

Wow, 1500 bags is alot of dough going to rent. He must have enjoyed his buisness. The guy that owns the one I use is so nice and helpful.

Any one ever bought from Homestead Hatchery? I think they havr white cornish.

Last edited:
Well, I would love some White Cornish also. I am trying to do the same thing. But basically for my own meat birds. I don't want to have to order 25 cornish x
I have done that and didn't enjoy it.

Have you thought about crossing the White Cornish with other whites? That website got me thinking of White Marans too.?

White Rocks, White Cornish, Delawares, Light Sussex, White Marans. There has to be a good meat combo in there somewhere.

Anyone selling White Cornish eggs or chicks please let me know. I would love to have some.

i PM nd you
smile.png

Both of my Dellies are BIG! My very biggest hens. Here is one of them... at 7 months of age.

10376_img_1125.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
the reason i will be using the Delawares is that they are large and fast growing... while White Marans have a nice meat carcass they take a long time to grow out... same with the Light Sussex... back when they did the first Cornish x White Rock the White Rock was a more dual purpose bird than it is today... it is mostly for eggs now... i want to experiment with the white giant because tho it is slow growing it is also the largest breed of pure bred chicken... if im gonna play with a bird that is slow growing i might as well go with the biggest lol...

im thinking about getting the hen line at 3/4 Delaware and 1/4 white giant and then breeding them true for say 5 generations... select for fast growth large size lots of eggs and a mostly white bird...
the rooster line will be 3/4 white Cornish and 1/4 asil and then breeding them true for say 5 generations... select for fast growth large size massive bone structure and good heart and vitality and a mostly white bird...

of course this is just what i want to try lol... once i start to breed and experiment i might find this wont work or some thing that works better... thats what i love about breeding chickens
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

Hmmmm I hatched out both Delaware and Light Sussex on 10/2 and honestly the Light Sussex are ahead in size right now.

I suppose that could change. That is one thing I am watching for.

What about White Rocks? Mine grew big and fast too. I know we need to cross for certain qualities.
I just recently butchered both a Delaware and a White Rock. The White Rock was a little bit bigger and my hand fit into the cavity much easier than the Del. I am just guessing here but that would make me think that as a whole the White Rock will be a larger bird at maturity.

Both of these had only ordinary legs and breast meat, but it was still considerable as they were only 4 months old. (Mmmm made chicken soup with them today and yummmmmy!)

However these Dels are hatchery and I don't know what size they would grow out to be. I still have two Roos and one hen.
I also have some chicks and eggs that are going to be great. Excellent stock.

The Light Sussex I have that are about 3 months old are really getting to be a nice size too.

Your Delaware Hen is really nice Mahonri. She is a big girl. Have you ever weighed her?

Heritagehabitatfarms, I think you have an excellent plan. I would never have thought of breeding a hen line and a roo line. So what does the Asil bring into it?

Back
Top Bottom