DelawaresxCornish???

heritagehabitatfarms

Songster
10 Years
Oct 11, 2009
clinton ar
has any one tried this cross??? and is anyone breeding the parent stock just for this cross???
i am trying to find the best cross for a pastured broiler that i can get the parent stock for(as the parent stock for the Cornish x rock is not available)

thanks for the help
Elias in Clinton Arkansas

Last edited:
Depends on the quality of the Delaware you use, I'd think. Most these days are way too skinny and lightweight to be of much use in that cross, though some of the good breeder stock would work for it. Some will probably have a different opinion about it.

Look on the ALBC website. They have a breeders directory, better yet call them and they will guide you in the right direction.

I'm not sure of the website but google ALBC.

so i finally found a source for the LF white Cornish... i think they are one of the rarest breeds in the usa... i can only find 4 breeders... and they are breeding for shows... and 2 of them wont ship anything
sad.png
... i am getting 3 dozen eggs in may @ 3 bucks each... hope they ship well from CA i am getting him to send them to me in 3 different shipments... as they are show stock ill probably have to breed them back up (or down lol) to get them to grow faster and lay more eggs...

i am buying 25 Delaware chicks on sat (nov 7th) from a lady here in AR... don't really know how big the parent stock is or where she got them from... but if i have to breed the Cornish up over 4 or 5 years i can do the same for the Delawares... if im not happy with the size of them ill add some better blood lines next year...

i am still looking for a heritage breeder for the white giants... if i cant find one ill just try some from one of the hatchery's and breed them up too...

i think i have found a breeder for the large asil (aseel) sometimes called Kulang asil... but i would love to find another one...

i know that both the asil and the white giants both grow real slow... but i want them to experiment with... i am going to try some different crosses and see what comes out
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

it really bothers me that (us) little guys cant breed are own broilers... the big companies have a market monopoly on them... and they are just bred for the big poultry houses and not pastured raising...

so this is what i want to do... i want to breed the parent stock for a pastured poultry broiler cross... and them sell them (parent stock) to anybody who wants to buy them... i want them to be mostly white (like the Delaware)... and grow out faster than the Freedom Ranger's and slower than the Cornish x Rock's... better suited for chicken tractor production...
to truly have a local economy we need to be able to raise our own broilers from local parent stock... and not have to ship them half way across the country...

so what does every body think about this??? comments and ??? are welcome
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

I thought about breeding my own, just for fun. CornishX can be so cheap, economically its better just to buy them. But It would be fun to breed my own broiler type. Keep us posted on your progress.

lol its not cheap when you raise 3000 + per year... i know 3 ppl hear in Arkansas that grow that many per year... i don't do that now but i would like to build up to about that over the next 3 or 4 years...

Quote:
how much do your birds weigh??? and how fast do they grow out??? and where did you get yours from??? maby we could trade bloodlines...

P.S. nice looking birds
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom