Delay crowing?

Studio2770

Songster
9 Years
Apr 29, 2013
We recently just moved our 2 11 week cochins and 1 10 wk EE with our 5 laying leghorns. They spent over a week of see no touch, they do free range at the same time though. 2 of the older girls are showing the little ones who's boss. Even though I hate seeing the little ones getting picked on, nothing serious has happened. On of the cochins is a cockerel, he let out an attempted "crow" only three times but he was provoked. I'm wondering since he's part of the new group if he will likely crow much much later since he's not the top chicken. He's remained quiet the rest of the time.

It's funny to see him stay clear of the older ones who aren't nasty since they're only distinguishable by their anklets. Would a cockerel crow if he's not the top chicken.

I have a polish cockeral that's been crowinf for over a month. Just recently my cochin has started crowing, and he is about 1 1/2 months older. Maybe cochins are late bloomers?

I have a polish cockeral that's been crowinf for over a month. Just recently my cochin has started crowing, and he is about 1 1/2 months older. Maybe cochins are late bloomers?

How old is your cochin? Mine is 11 weeks old.

Unless you have another cockerel, the roo is usually at the top of the pecking order. He just has to work his way there. Although, there are some hens who do not like to give away the top spot.

Unless you have another cockerel, the roo is usually at the top of the pecking order. He just has to work his way there. Although, there are some hens who do not like to give away the top spot.

Yeah he's the only one. 2 pullets do pick on him and the other two chicks.

Back
Top Bottom