delay - pip to hatch

SpringChickens

Crowing
12 Years
Feb 1, 2009
Lexington, KY
Hi all, I currently have a batch of duck eggs in the incubator (d26). When I locked down the incubator yesterday, I noticed that about half had already pipped, and yet no one has hatched yet, 30+ hours later. They're still alive, the eggs are rocking and they're peeping in their shells, but it's concerning me a bit that no actual hatching has occurred. I'm worried about 2 things; 1) there were a number of pips before I locked down and increased the humidity - I'm worried that may have impacted their ability to hatch and 2) the eggs are *very* tightly packed on the floor of the incubator. Any thoughts? Should I be patient and let them hatch or should I try to get in and assist?

They *could* be shrink wrapped. It's not an alarmingly long time, it usually takes a day between external pip and zipping, but it's weird if not a single one has started zipping. If it were me I'd open up and check the membranes of the oldest eggs.
You don't wanna start removing shell and help them before they're attempting zipping.

I opened a few of them and they don't seem to be shrink wrapped, but there's not any visible blood in the membranes either. I guess I'll watch a little longer and see what happens with these that I opened

I opened a few of them and they don't seem to be shrink wrapped, but there's not any visible blood in the membranes either. I guess I'll watch a little longer and see what happens with these that I opened
Good! :) Yeah, you should just let them sit. Messing around with them before they're ready will do more damage than good. Crossing fingers they'll stop procrastinating and get out soon! :fl

Patience is paying off!! 13/19 are hatched so far!

Attachments

• 7E1DC160-9749-4F21-957A-08FCD1AB97C5.jpeg
    7E1DC160-9749-4F21-957A-08FCD1AB97C5.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom