Delayed growth rate in SG Dorkings

AndyAmbiguous

Chirping
Apr 23, 2020
This is my first set of chicks I’ve ever raised! They will be 6 weeks old tomorrow and they still seem quite small and under-feathered to me. I wanted to get some second opinions.
None of them have head feathers in yet, and there are some areas on the chest and back that are still baby down. Their weights are between 71g and 83g.
I am doing an experimental diy feed because of my severe allergies but I’ve been trying to keep it at least 18% protein. There may have been one or two weeks that didn’t have enough protein? Idk

F865B038-8288-4035-975A-48C05659815D.jpeg
6CA7171D-20F8-4B6A-B3EC-4AF0EA416175.jpeg

Here's the current feed. I've been consistently tweaking the numbers though.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at 5.43.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at 5.43.56 PM.png
    80.3 KB · Views: 5
Feathering is normal for their age and breed, they are slightly underweight though.
Are they able to eat continuously throughout the day or are they rationed?

I keep food with them all the time but their nighttime feeder tends to spill out and fill up with woodchips so they aren't as interested. I do notice they have near-empty crops in the morning.

During the day they are kept in an extra large dog crate and I put them in their brooder at night, which has woodchips for substrate.

Good idea, you might need to tweak your food recipe to include a bit more fat at least until they are fully fledged.
Unfortunately that will probably add a touch more protein to your mix too, unless you do it a la carte with eggs insects or fish.:)
I weighed them with full crops today too. Perhaps tomorrow morning as I take them out of the brooder I can weigh them more systematically.

I have been giving them sardines in olive oil as treats! LOL (they had about half a can last week)

Is there an issue of going over 20% protein for them?

Back
Top Bottom