Delayed Hatch

pinoyathletics

Chirping
Jun 21, 2018
Granville, Australia
I am hatching out Cortunix Quails. Started with 56 eggs, 23 of them were fertile (totally black, or black splodges occupying most of egg) candled them on Day 8.

My Incubator has had calibration problems its one of those No Name Chinese brands. So i used a few thermometers and recalibrated it. For the first 3-4 days the temperature was reading 37.5 degrees but was actually more like 34-35 degrees. I fixed this on Day 4 (counting Day 0 as 1). I put the eggs in lockdown on Day 15 (Day 0 as Day 1) candled them again all 23 were viable.

By the beginning of Day 20 (Day 0 as Day 1) Nothing had hatched. There was one bird that had pipped on Day 19 but hadn't hatched so i carefully took him out and peeled around the beek. He was actually dead. I opened up the egg and was a fully formed chick that was too big for the egg. It didn't look like drowning or shrink-wrapped. He was simply too big and probably crushed by the weight of the egg. Knowing its already Day 20 and hatch is usually 17-20. I opened another egg but accidentally stabbed it with the tweezers and blood started to come out. Inside was a live chic that hadnt fully absorbed the yolk. But unfortunately bled to death.

I decided to give the other 21 eggs a chance. And sprayed some warm water on the eggs to try and soften them up. The eggshell of the one i accidentally stabbed with tweezers was quite hard. Its nearly the end of Day 20 and i can hear birds chirping inside in several of the eggs. But there is still no external pip apart from the one that died.

What im theorizing is Because i was running at 34-35 degrees. The hatch is now 3-4 days behind schedule. Has anyone ever had this happen before.

Day 19 almost Day 20. One Coturnix quail chic has hatched. Its already Day 20 now. And 3 or 4 of the remaining 20 have cracks and our chirping furiously. All the other 16 were candled on 14 and again at end of 18 and all have chics inside. This is the first time ive ever hatched using just my own eggs, none from the mail at all this time like last two hatches.

I sprayed the eggs with warm water and when i did that they started to make noise on day 19. What i suspect is as im 3 days behind cause temperature in the incubator was 34-35 degrees as the machine thermometer is not functioning well. That i can expect hatches on Day 20, 21, 22. Will let u know how many of the 20 remaining hatch. 2 previous eggs one had a pipped chick that didnt make it and the other i opened up and accidently stabbed a live chick on day 19 with tweezers, but the chic hadnt absorbed the yolk so looked like it probably would have hatched by day 21.

Watch for foot and leg problems with late hatchers. Make sure they have a grippy surface to avoid splay, and watch for curled toes, which you can correct during the first couple of days.

First 4 hatched Day 20 unassisted. They are all very healthy.

Then 4 more were pipping. One died in the shell. So i made the choice to assist the other 3 hatching. The 3 assisted were all straddled leg. One of them died. The other two, i have in upright container near the lamp with splints applied and a tea towel underneath.

So, partial success. That's good! Good luck with hobbling. They hate it, but it does work. The main challenge when I have to do it is to keep the other birds from pecking at them and also making sure they can regulate their heat. Since you have them near a lamp, you'll want to watch for overheating.

It's been a couple of days since your post, so has it corrected by now?

Back
Top Bottom