Delewares as meat production

He was a decent rooster but nothing special. The egg color improved but not enough to continue the experiment. I experiment quite a bit and in my earlier years had achieved my goals of good layers that went broody a good bit and were very colorful. To me it’s a hobby and a colorful chicken is considered a success. I do keep the different breeds separate but enjoy crossing a generation or two to see the results. My wife loves her “Chinese” chickens as she is from China and I will say they are beautiful in their own way.

Huge fan of the Delaware. Mine were hatchery stock probably seven generations ago. New roosters from a heritage line were introduced at generation 2 and 6. They really improved the flock but as suggested, start with a better line.
From what I've done with Barred Rocks, adding a quality rooster to hatchery hens I have seen the biggest improvement in the 3/4 quality batch. It CAN be done this way, but it's faster to source all good breeder stock at the start.

Thanks for your input. I have never had Delewares. It intrigued me that they were the "meat" bird before cornish x came along.
The Plymouth Rocks were considered "the" meat bird as well :) Pretty sure the Delaware was meant to be an improvement on them, as I know some have been trying to recreate the Delaware like they did in the old days. Pretty sure Frank Reese (Good Shepherd Farm) is doing that currently.

There is an entire thread here on Kathy's new line of Delaware. She created it from scratch and many are still working on them. Nice birds.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/delawares-from-kathyinmo.777172/page-291#post-19445162

The Delaware was taken from the broiler industry. The common practice of the industry at that time was to put a Barred Rock over New Hampshire hens. The resulting offspring retained frame of Plymouth Rock and from New Hampshire faster maturity and better meat quality .. You also get hybrid vigor which aids in faster maturity and better overall size. Anywho, in doing this cross white sports arise. The Delaware was created using these sports.

So on it's own it's a good dual purpose bird for butchering at broiler age. It's close to New Hampshire- one of best dual purpose broilers. Delaware's claim to meat industry is a bit skewed- the original sports that the breed was created from were hybrid broilers. Like the Plymouth Rock was used solely as meat 100 years ago but by 70 years ago they were only used to make the hybrids for slaughter. The parent stock of Delaware are those broiler hybrids. But they were real hybrids. Today's CornishX has a loose claim to Plymouth ancestory- they are on a different level of hybrid over hybrid to make the super hybrid meat bird thing.

Last edited:
I just hatched out 4 Delaware's alittle over a week ago. I got the eggs from a breeder in NJ. I plan on crossing the Delaware hens with my Orpington roos. That is the cross I plan on using for my meat bird production. I don't have any results to speak of as they are just chicks so needless to say it's gonna be awhile. :idunno

I just hatched out 4 Delaware's alittle over a week ago. I got the eggs from a breeder in NJ. I plan on crossing the Delaware hens with my Orpington roos. That is the cross I plan on using for my meat bird production. I don't have any results to speak of as they are just chicks so needless to say it's gonna be awhile. :idunno

You can try it both ways to see for yourself what the difference is but if only doing one cross I'd first try the Orptington male over Delaware hens. This was the standard mating in the broiler industry, frame and stature from sire and faster maturity/fleshing from female. They obviously had a reason to do it that way so is what I'd try first.

Orpington are England's attempt at making a National bird that could compete with the Plymouth Rock. Plymouth was one of it's foundation birds. The original stock of Orpington were black. It's those birds that were sent to Australia and further worked on utility to become Australorp. If Cook saw what the fanciers in England were doing with his birds today he'd roll over in his grave. England's standard for Orp has become near Cochin in fluff.

You can try it both ways to see for yourself what the difference is but if only doing one cross I'd first try the Orptington male over Delaware hens. This was the standard mating in the broiler industry, frame and stature from sire and faster maturity/fleshing from female. They obviously had a reason to do it that way so is what I'd try first.

Orpington are England's attempt at making a National bird that could compete with the Plymouth Rock. Plymouth was one of it's foundation birds. The original stock of Orpington were black. It's those birds that were sent to Australia and further worked on utility to become Australorp. If Cook saw what the fanciers in England were doing with his birds today he'd roll over in his grave. England's standard for Orp has become near Cochin in fluff.
That's the plan, Orpington Roo over Delaware hen.

Back
Top Bottom