Delicate Light Brahma Chicks?

Beckys Birds

Songster
May 27, 2022
South Central Kentucky
I have a question for the amassed knowledge of this forum.
Are Light Brahma Chicks more delicate than other chicks?
I ask this because I keep having one or two die on the way home from the store that's 30 minutes away. I keep them warm on the trip with hand warmers wrapped in paper towels. Both times I've brought the Brahmas home like this, I've had other breeds in the same carrier with them. I've never lost any other breed of chicks except the Brahmas.
By the time we get home, they will be lethargic, so I put them on a warmed rice sock and give them all drops of sugar water to give a boost. I place a tiny drop on the end of her beak, and wait for her to drink it. That usually perks them right up.
What am I doing wrong? It's absolutely breaking my heart that I've lost 3 babies out of 8.
My husband took this picture of me last night without my knowledge (excuse how I look, it'd been a long day and I was in my nightgown with hair in a sleeping bun! I am never photogenic when he has the camera...), but is shows how I give them that extra love. I still lost one last night.
Please help this heartbroken chicken momma!

signal-2022-11-23-20-40-51-081.jpg

I have no experience with Brahmas. I am wondering if you should try different stock.

Perhaps these chicks are poor doers with failure to thrive. Sounds like they are struggling from the start!

They shouldn't be expiring from a 30 minute drive. What are the conditions of them at the store.

I'm sorry for your losses, chicks are just too precious!

I have no experience with Brahmas. I am wondering if you should try different stock.

Perhaps these chicks are poor doers with failure to thrive. Sounds like they are struggling from the start!

They shouldn't be expiring from a 30 minute drive. What are the conditions of them at the store.

I'm sorry for your losses, chicks are just too precious!
Yeah, I just lost the replacement two brahma chicks this morning. They seem fine at the store, no pasty butt, running around like normal chicks. The replacement chicks were brought home immediately. The carrier box had shavings and hand warmers underneath, because it was a bit chilly. My daughter had the box in her lap and wrapped up in a cardigan to keep the warmth in. They were fine all yesterday and I last checked on them around midnight. Everyone was fine. Hubby checked on them at 6:45am, and both Brahmas had died. That's four brahma chicks in two days. The four Plymouth Rock chicks I bought at the same time are perfectly fine! So, no more Hoover's Hatchery Light Brahma Chicks for me. I've now lost SIX chicks out of ten, from two different hatchings. Those are horrible odds.

Yeah, I just lost the replacement two brahma chicks this morning. They seem fine at the store, no pasty butt, running around like normal chicks. The replacement chicks were brought home immediately. The carrier box had shavings and hand warmers underneath, because it was a bit chilly. My daughter had the box in her lap and wrapped up in a cardigan to keep the warmth in. They were fine all yesterday and I last checked on them around midnight. Everyone was fine. Hubby checked on them at 6:45am, and both Brahmas had died. That's four brahma chicks in two days. The four Plymouth Rock chicks I bought at the same time are perfectly fine! So, no more Hoover's Hatchery Light Brahma Chicks for me. I've now lost SIX chicks out of ten, from two different hatchings. Those are horrible odds.
I’m so sorry. Sounds like they have a weak strain going. Possibly try McMurray or Ideal? We had good luck w our shipped chicks from them this summer.

I'm so sorry! :hugs

Ideal you should be able to get 6-7, and it’s only a $7 small order and $10 ship fee. That’s really good for a small order shipped. Just in case you want to try again next year!
That hatchery sounds more reasonable with the shipping! We plan on getting our dark Brahma pullets from there in the spring. Thank for the suggestion!

I’m so sorry. Sounds like they have a weak strain going. Possibly try McMurray or Ideal? We had good luck w our shipped chicks from them this summer.

I agree that it must be a weak strain with bad genetics. :( All my Brahmas have been strong, vigorous birds -- though late-developing as is normal for that breed.

We just didn't want to pay $40 small item shipping fee. Also, the original light Brahmas we're an in store impulse buy.

IMO, Ideal has the most reasonable small order fees.

If you think yourself capable of it, buy twice as many as you want, keep the ones you like best, and sell the rest as started pullets or Point-of-Lay pullets. :)

Back
Top Bottom