Isabel brahma x light or buff brahma

Chickenguy0909

In the Brooder
Jan 1, 2024
I am planning to buy an Isabel Brahma but I can only afford one at the moment. Should I get the Hen or the Rooster? I have Light and Buff brahmas and I intend to breed them with an isabel until I can get my hands on another one so I can get pure chicks.
IMG_2281.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2277.jpeg
    IMG_2277.jpeg
    590 KB · Views: 12
Is there any reason why you can't wait until you can get a pair together? Regardless of whether you get a male or female, you'll be making mixed color offspring by crossing it to Light or Buff Brahmas. The only advantage I could see for getting one over the other is that a male Isabel crossed to a female Light Brahma potentially could make chicks sexable at hatch (males that hatch silvery and females that hatch gold), but they'd still be mixed color and not a pure breeding variety, kind of an incomplete / messy columbian-type pattern I think.

Is there any reason why you can't wait until you can get a pair together? Regardless of whether you get a male or female, you'll be making mixed color offspring by crossing it to Light or Buff Brahmas. The only advantage I could see for getting one over the other is that a male Isabel crossed to a female Light Brahma potentially could make chicks sexable at hatch (males that hatch silvery and females that hatch gold), but they'd still be mixed color and not a pure breeding variety, kind of an incomplete / messy columbian-type pattern I think.
Thank you for this. i have decided to get a couple isabel chicks instead since they far more cheaper than the breeders plus I enjoy watching them grow from chicks to giant fluff balls

Back
Top Bottom