Dels vs Marans vs Dorkings...

If meat is your goal, Dorking is the way to go, especially if you're going to breed your own and, thus, apply genetic pressure via the yearly selection of breeders. Among Standard-bred fowl, the genetic potential of the Dorking for meat production is unexcelled.

Last edited:
Marans are pretty good, however my big recommendation on them is to get ones from crossed lines. (Bev Davis x Wade Jean, etc) - At least the ones I have; they grow FAST and very big!
smile.png

My question is, does anyone here have experience with real New Hampshires? Not those skinny production birds from hatcheries, but real ones?

Quote:
Really? I just read on another post that Davis and Jeane lines are better when kept pure, that they don't do well when crossed. Maybe they were judging that on something other than meat quality. I'm tickled to hear that you are happy with the crossed lines, because I was considering some auction eggs that are crossed lines.
thumbsup.gif

How does the meat meat taste between the delaware vs marans? Do you have cuckoo marans or black copper marans?

Quote:
Really? I just read on another post that Davis and Jeane lines are better when kept pure, that they don't do well when crossed. Maybe they were judging that on something other than meat quality. I'm tickled to hear that you are happy with the crossed lines, because I was considering some auction eggs that are crossed lines.
thumbsup.gif

For egg color, yes, keep the lines separate. For anything else, go ahead and cross them, but you'll wreck the dark eggs.

My Marans are Black Copper, Blue Wheaten, and Wheaten. Most Cuckoos are hatchery based, making them smaller and with horrible egg color.

Never actually tried Delawares before though.

My question is, does anyone here have experience with real New Hampshires? Not those skinny production birds from hatcheries, but real ones?

Can't find them. Number of us have looked they are just that hard to get your hands on. Someone on the Delaware thread has some but its been to cross to her heritage BRs to try to recreate the Delaware and have a new strain of them going. No idea if she's selling any NH eggs though.​

Quote:
Can't find them. Number of us have looked they are just that hard to get your hands on. Someone on the Delaware thread has some but its been to cross to her heritage BRs to try to recreate the Delaware and have a new strain of them going. No idea if she's selling any NH eggs though.

Kathyinmo. Yes, I believe she's separating her BR's from her New Hampshires soon.

Back
Top Bottom