demolition hens

xcalibor67

Chirping
Apr 28, 2017
My hens continuously take out all the hay/straw i put in the nest boxes. I have about a 2 inch lip on the front of boxes, thinking it would keep it in...Noda. its like my hay isnt good enough for them, lol. Any tips, trips, or suggestions as how to keep straw in, or possibly a substitute. I dont want to do something to cause them to lay outside of the box, as that has happened when i had put burlap pieces hanging in the box openings...they wouldnt have any part of that, and i had to crawl under the coop to get eggs for 2 days..we quickly removed it. Thanks.

Do you think they may be kicking it out as they try to form a nice nest? I use pine chips mixed with straw cut into 6-8" lengths, they definitely do a lot of arranging so if you have long strands it could be getting pushed out?

I'd think the longer pieces are harder to move. I use hay in the boxes and saw the neatest looking nest when one started laying. Now we have a slight depression in a hay box.

Consider using a piece of carpet. They shouldn't be able to move that? Covered in hay if you want to keep fighting them.

How much are you putting in? When I add hay, I like to use coarse hay, and stuff the box full. then, I push it down in the middle. When the bird enters, the resulting "nest cup" she makes folds up the sides of the nest box, and is less likely to be pushed out. Also, as aart says, you need a deeper lip.

Back
Top Bottom