Dented egg day 17

Pics
The paper towel is a great idea. It is always nerve racking thinking they won't find the food in the container. I'll be doing this from now on.
It really helps. You can tap on it with your finger like you are eating, it gets them started right up. :) After a few days they should find the feeder, you can remove the paper towel then.

It really helps. You can tap on it with your finger like you are eating, it gets them started right up. :) After a few days they should find the feeder, you can remove the paper towel then.
I inadvertently found that if I used a spoon with a pointy handle and used that the tap with it really got them interested. My hips and back were bothering one day so rather than use my finger and bend over, I sat on a stool, I used the spoon - wow did they ever respond to that! Mad rush to see what the 'shiny pointy thing' was tapping away at. From then on I use that spoon with my chicks.

Twister seems so much better already! So out of 11 eggs, 3 hatched with assist, 2 passed, one is cracked my me, one chipped a tiny piece of shell out, but didn’t break through the membrane, and the last 4 haven’t done anything. Today is day 21

Attachments

• IMG_3257.jpeg
    IMG_3257.jpeg
    526.1 KB · Views: 8
Twister seems so much better already! So out of 11 eggs, 3 hatched with assist, 2 passed, one is cracked my me, one chipped a tiny piece of shell out, but didn’t break through the membrane, and the last 4 haven’t done anything. Today is day 21
Congrats, being that this was your first hatch, you did a wonderful job! :highfive: Sorry you had some troubles however this was a good learning experience. Being that this is day 21, I think they hatched a bit early which tells me either the temp was a bit too high or the eggs started to develop before setting. And this alone could have caused the troubles. Give the other eggs a couple more days and if nothing is happening, you can pitch them out, they are either dead or infertile.

Enjoy your new babies, they are adorable! :love

Congrats, being that this was your first hatch, you did a wonderful job! :highfive: Sorry you had some troubles however this was a good learning experience. Being that this is day 21, I think they hatched a bit early which tells me either the temp was a bit too high or the eggs started to develop before setting. And this alone could have caused the troubles. Give the other eggs a couple more days and if nothing is happening, you can pitch them out, they are either dead or infertile.

Enjoy your new babies, they are adorable! :love
Okay thank you! I know they all had moving babies in them on day 17, but this incubator is faulty I think. I’ll wait a couple more days

Okay thank you! I know they all had moving babies in them on day 17, but this incubator is faulty I think. I’ll wait a couple more days
I am sorry. :hugs Definitely use another incubator next time, if you can afford it, get a new one. I don't think you did anything wrong here, I too think something is wrong with your machine.

I am sorry. :hugs Definitely use another incubator next time, if you can afford it, get a new one. I don't think you did anything wrong here, I too think something is wrong with your machine.
Thank you. Poor things. Twister is doing good now. Hopefully the three I have will make it. They seem okay. Is it safe to candle the remaining eggs tonight? Will I be able to see movement anyway? I know the eggs are probably full, so I don’t know if it would even make a difference

Thank you. Poor things. Twister is doing good now. Hopefully the three I have will make it. They seem okay. Is it safe to candle the remaining eggs tonight? Will I be able to see movement anyway? I know the eggs are probably full, so I don’t know if it would even make a difference
So glad Twister is doing well! I think these 3 will do fine, chicks can be pretty resilient. 💖

It's safe to open the lid since none of them are pipping. You might candle each one at a time. The light should cause movement if they are alive.

Keep us posted on the chicks and eggs! :)

So glad Twister is doing well! I think these 3 will do fine, chicks can be pretty resilient. 💖

It's safe to open the lid since none of them are pipping. You might candle each one at a time. The light should cause movement if they are alive.

Keep us posted on the chicks and eggs! :)
None of them moved 😢 It almost looks like they either tried to poke through to the air cell, but couldn’t, or they did, and air came in along side their bodies, and they didn’t go any further. You could kind of make out the triangle where their head would be on most of them. How sad. This was my friend’s incubator she got at a farm auction, and I was just hatching eggs for her farm, so I don’t plan on hatching any more until I buy myself a nice incubator and humidity gauge. At least the 3 made it. So sad. I started with 11 eggs.

Back
Top Bottom