Denver: Help join effort to change laws allowing chickens

Hey all! I'm sure someone has already clarified this, but I'm in the waiting period to get my permit in Denver and I wanted to recap my experience. You can also check out my blog http://allkindsosass.com.
So here's what we went through:

No less than 4 calls to animal control. Just to find out what we needed to do.

1 call to zoning. Just to find out what we needed to do.

No less than 5 versions (1 sent, 4 faxed) of the request letter. Stating what we were going to own, the number of animals, desposal of excrement etc.

1 visit from animal control. To verify we don't live in squallor. It was a 5min visit by a man with amazing hair. And by amazing I mean bad.

1 returned letter from animal control. Saying they don't oppose our owning chickens. Which had to then be presented to zoning.

1 visit to zoning. To get more paperwork.

4 letters sent to neighbors. No they do not have to give you letters of approval. But this letter along with proof you sent the letters needs to be presented to zoning.

1 more trip to zoning. To pick up a neon pink sign for $100 to post for 10days.

What's next is we wait 20 more days. And hope we don't get any complaints. Then we get a neon green sign from zoning stating we can in fact have chickens.

Then we have to buy our permit. $50.

$100 to zoning is all the money we've spent so far. Well we did already order chickens. So fingers crossed that wasn't a bad move.

It is a tedious process, but hey. Its going to be worth it!

Good luck all!

Raising chickens is worth it!

I am a Denver resident with a permit for hens. I started leisurely researching and applying for permits September 2008 and received mine in February 2009. Although the process was lengthy and too costly, I am so happy I did it. Those of you here in Denver who are interested in raising chickens, don't dismay! There are many people who belong to this forum and also to the Denver Urban Homesteading meetup group who can help you. I've read this whole thread and the steps listed are fairly accurate.
Unfortunately, I couldn't find this info back in Fall '08, and it was quite difficult to navigate the city departments. Everyone had a different idea of what the process should be, and no one new what the process actually was. But with the list here in this thread of the steps required, you will at least know the cost and the steps to obtain your permits.

Drawing from my understanding gained from my experience obtaining my permits, I'd like to add the following comments about the permitting process:

1) It is legal to have chickens in Denver with 2 permits, one from Animal Control and one from Zoning.

2) There are no laws against roosters. But each of my neighbors, when I told them I'd be raising chickens, said "No roosters, right?". I totally understand this. Although I love the sound of a rooster, I think it's nicest at a distance.

3) There's no limit to the number of hens you can request your permit for, but presumably the Animal Control officer who inspects your property for your future coop will determine if you have requested too many.

4) What was required from me at my first zoning visit was 1) a completed "Change of Use" permit form for my property, available from zoning, 2) a diagram of my property indicating the placement and size of the coop and run, and 3) my letter of support from Animal Control (which is referred to as the Department of Environmental Health on the "Change of Use" permit form which makes completing that form a little confusing).

5) The letters of support from neighbors is an optional step (it was suggested to me by zoning but not required), but I'm glad I did it because it gives you an opportunity to talk to your neighbors about the chicks and counteracts any potential complaints you receive while you are under administrative review for your zoning permit. I just typed up a form letter and asked neighbors to sign it with their name and address, so as not to waste their time.

6) Also, to clarify one early posting, Zoning is responsible for contacting neighborhood associations and city council, not the person requesting the permit.

7) "Zoning" refers to the Zoning Department whose office is in the Webb Building downtown and takes walk-ins (there is a sign in sheet if you end up waiting there). I don't know of any good place to park down there except at nearby metered parking. Animal control is located at 678 S. Jason Street. Both departments can be reached by calling 311 and asking. Animal Control cannot be reached by phone during their rabies vaccination clinics (I was on hold for 45 minutes straight, once. So if you are trying to reach them, ask the 311 operator when their vaccination clinics are.)

This is all just my understanding, so you may have a different experience. The criticisms I have of the permitting process are numerous - too numerous to list here. I would like to see the permits ensure that the chickens are being raised responsibly, which they are not doing. I also hope things change here in Denver to make the process simpler.

But I just want to encourage anyone in Denver who is considering raising chickens to do it. I did and I'm so glad - they haven't even started laying yet and I love it! They make me laugh every day, and soon they'll be making me breakfast!

wow, thanks for all the information in this thread. my husband and I currently live in Portland, OR (which is very backyard-chicken-friendly) but want to move home to Denver in a few years. I had no idea it was going to be such a huge ordeal to have chickens!

We were recently able to get an ordinance passed here in Longmont after alot of effort. However since they did not really want to pass it they only allowed 50. They then decided people who had chickens prior could be allowed a permit. After all if this is a trial how can 50 permits give you any data?

At one point they talked about hiring extra animal control people to police the streets for rouge hens. I think that ridiculous idea was eventually shot down.

The reason we were able to even get City council to consider us is because we had speakers willing to step up and educate in a calm manner, whereas the chicken haters were emotional and paranoid about chicken flu, chickens flying over fences into neighbors yards, chickens antagonizing next door dogs, etc. etc. We also obtained over 600 signatures and presented them from people within city limits who were not opposed to backyard hens.

gig.gif

Let's see... Pittbull roaming the streets and animal control wants YOU to contain it before they will come...but a CHICKEN gets lose and they want EXTRA animal control officers to be ready to round them up????

gig.gif

Uhhhh...when is the last time a chicken killed a toddler?

Dear Urbansustainability,

Short of time, I only read the FIRST POSTING (yours).

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

I served on the Planning Commission in Loveland, CO. for 6 years (2 as chairman).

You are going to do nothing but give yourself an ulcer!

If you want an ulcer, start in Boulder!

This is a reflection of a "disease" that I will call "Smart-Aleck Do-Gooder-itis" It has been running rampant in Colorado for almost 40 years. A REAL Epidemic !!!

It didn't start there, it started on the East Coast in the Big Cities and quickly spread to California........and from there throughout the Nation....including Californicating Colorado.

I wish I could see a "reasonable way" for you to conquer this one individual symptom of the disease, but, from experience I will tell you this:

There are more "idiots" that show up at council meetings than there are grains of sand on the beach! You ain't got a "snowballs chance in HELL".

Sorry to be so pessimistic.

just my 2 pesos worth,
wink.png

-Junkmanme-
smile.png

We have it pretty good compared to a lot of cities. Denver's laws seriously need to change, but anyone willing to jump through the permitting process will have chickens legally. There are a lot of cities that consider themselves progressive that have a 0 tolerance policy on "livestock" in city limits. We could do a lot worse by living in any of those communities. So while I am contributing to the cause, it isn't a lost cause, or really that bad now and we will see a chicken in every backyard that wants one soon. IF people speak up. The denver zoning laws are being rewritten as I type this. Stand up, be heard. The blue print for denver (adopted by the council) is very friendly towards our cause right now and the goal of the re-written zoning laws are to implement that plan. Let's make sure it happens.

Mark

I HOPE it works WELL for you!!!!!!!
However, in my "ungracious opinion", it is STILL the SAME!!!

which is:

"Whatever is the "FAD" at the time, and However MANY People show UP at the meeting is what will decide the outcome!

"Backyard Chickens NOW is an "Urban FAD".Can't you see what I mean?

Denver area is like California.......and Santa Fe..

What's the "current Fad" ?????

A darn stupid way to do business as far as I'm concerned!

No matter WHO wins....

POINT being.......Is it RIGHT? Does it fit "The US Constitution? Does it allow people to do as they please IF they do not infringe upon others (who are minding their own business!)

IF It is ONLY, who shows up most (at gov't meetings), then we've got the WRONG PEOPLE running the meetings and VOTING on our RIGHTS as OUR Representatives!

SOAPBOX??? YEP! Wrong? You TELL ME!
(probably will be deleted..........)

"There outa be a LAW....saying you can't Write anymore laws until you fix the "stupid ones!"......I said that.

Political nonsense!

-Junkmanme-
yuckyuck.gif
:caf:old

Personally, I think you are mostly right Junkmanme in theory, but where I disagree is where you indicate that the concept that using a Fad to facilitate needed change is 'a darn stupid way to do business'. if that is what it takes to sway our representitives opinions, more power to it. If you want to change something, you use every tool in your box to make it happen right? To do anything less would be short-changing your own cause.

Where I agree with you is when you say "There outa be a LAW....saying you can't Write anymore laws until you fix the "stupid ones!"......I said that."

A lot of other people (myself included) say that too...That's actually what we are trying to do here, fix the stupid laws... I can't tell which side of the cause you are on, but don't give up if the laws where you live aren't meeting the needs of the citizens. My mom was born in Gallup, and I have fond memories of that area as well. Surely they allow chickens?

~Mark

Hello Mark !

Insofar as "fads" are concerned, I was referring to Lawmakers (Councilmen, etc. ) formulating Laws based upon "popular momentum" rather than the original concept of "inalienable rights".
(I realize that I didn't make myself clear.)

It is my contention that people should be able to do anything on their own property as long as they can contain the "impact" within their own property boundaries.

From a practical standpoint here in the County, chickens are "allowed" because they can't enforce the Ordinance in a County this large and rural and Indian Reservation.

The County has the SAME Ordinance as the City of Gallup. The County Commissioners adopted it without much, if any, thought that the County MIGHT be a little different. (Not any surprise here). I haven't read the ordinance in a little while, but as I recall, it requires loads of fees and inspections, etc. It is probably about the same as the Ordinance in the City and County of Denver (one entity). I don't think that they enforce the ordinance in totality in the City of Gallup, either.

Unfortunately, our "lawmakers" seldom look ahead to foresee what adverse impacts their decisons are likely to have OR what reactions and "counter-measures" are likely to occur because of their "well-meaning" "do-gooder" attitudes.

It is like when the City of Boulder, CO announced a "Zero-Growth" policy. That merely caused other nearby communities to build toward and around Boulder. It didn't change anything except lower Boulder's tax receipts and boost business in surrounding communities. VERY POOR FORESIGHT !!!

Ego without Thinking is disasterous.
In, fact, 99% of the time, Ego is superfluous.

(I fit into the remaining 1% ....Ha-Ha!
lau.gif
)

It's surprising how many people you "run into" who have connections to Gallup, NM !!!

Good Luck in your efforts to get sanity into your ordinance!
Bruce (Junkmanme)

Back
Top Bottom