Depluming Mites And How To Treat Hens???

No bare patches of skin and no sores. Wish an expert on here could tell me so I know how to treat.I’ve done a post and an expert or 2 have weighed in and they haven’t said it’s depluming mites so maybe they Arnt sure. Yah it’s bad whatever it is.
I definitely think those are deplaning mites. My flock has had them badly for the last 5 years and nothing has been able to help them. I have taken them to vets and used ivermectin. They are all still alive and seem relatively happy as they free-range daily and are fed fermented scratch and peck feed. They are my babies but we’ve had to accept it after trying literally everything, which is sad. Can’t believe they are all still alive and well (ish).

Can you tell me what the oregano drink is? Would love to try. Thanks. Super happy your boy is healed from the mites!!!
When you say shots.you mean needle? Did vet give those shots or you?I have the 1% where I can do drops. How often did you do shots?

I definitely think those are deplaning mites. My flock has had them badly for the last 5 years and nothing has been able to help them. I have taken them to vets and used ivermectin. They are all still alive and seem relatively happy as they free-range daily and are fed fermented scratch and peck feed. They are my babies but we’ve had to accept it after trying literally everything, which is sad. Can’t believe they are all still alive and well (ish).
Wow that’s crazy you’ve not been able to get rid of them.

Hi y’all. I have news to report. First, I don’t know what the person who gave oregano drink used, but I give

Strong Animals Chicken E-lixir – Natural Approach for Keeping Backyard Chickens Healthy; Contains Organic Oregano Essential Oils (32 Ounces)…​

Don’t know if it works! LOL. I like it because it’s hot in Texas, and in addition to oregano and some vitamins, it has electrolytes.
I just went out and weighed my chicken with feather loss. Her weight is finally holding steady. I gave her a second dose of ivermectin in a second round.
I’ve been treating my entire flock with a preventative dose of Corid for 5 days, often. I also give acidified copper sulfate twice a week (1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water).
I’m wondering if a low coccidiosis infection could cause them to not absorb nutrients, and thus the thin feathers. Since I’ve been dosing with Corid and ACS, the soft shelled egg problem that I’ve been battling with a couple of hens is much improved.
It’s all theory, but thought I’d share. My hen has been to two vets who had no clue.
Good luck y’all!!

Also, I lost a couple of hens to coccidiosis a few months ago. I learned that the coccidiosis invades their intestines, causing a blockage. I think that in turn causes yeast to multiply. Which could cause nutrients to not be absorbed. May or may not be related to the feather loss. Wanted to share in case it helps someone and their hens down the road.

No bare patches of skin and no sores. Wish an expert on here could tell me so I know how to treat.I’ve done a post and an expert or 2 have weighed in and they haven’t said it’s depluming mites so maybe they Arnt sure. Yah it’s bad whatever it is.
See my two recent posts and see if anything resonates with you!

Also, I lost a couple of hens to coccidiosis a few months ago. I learned that the coccidiosis invades their intestines, causing a blockage. I think that in turn causes yeast to multiply. Which could cause nutrients to not be absorbed. May or may not be related to the feather loss. Wanted to share in case it helps someone and their hens down the road.
Interesting. What are signs they have coccidiosis? I have a vet appt Thursday

Hi y’all. I have news to report. First, I don’t know what the person who gave oregano drink used, but I give

Strong Animals Chicken E-lixir – Natural Approach for Keeping Backyard Chickens Healthy; Contains Organic Oregano Essential Oils (32 Ounces)…​

Don’t know if it works! LOL. I like it because it’s hot in Texas, and in addition to oregano and some vitamins, it has electrolytes.
I just went out and weighed my chicken with feather loss. Her weight is finally holding steady. I gave her a second dose of ivermectin in a second round.
I’ve been treating my entire flock with a preventative dose of Corid for 5 days, often. I also give acidified copper sulfate twice a week (1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water).
I’m wondering if a low coccidiosis infection could cause them to not absorb nutrients, and thus the thin feathers. Since I’ve been dosing with Corid and ACS, the soft shelled egg problem that I’ve been battling with a couple of hens is much improved.
It’s all theory, but thought I’d share. My hen has been to two vets who had no clue.
Good luck y’all!!
The mites cause them not to absorb nutrients

That makes sense too. I have noticed an improvement with both ivermectin and Corid and ACS.
I rescued a rooster 6 months ago who had mange mites but they were dormant. Obviously they didn't warn me he had mites, they just wanted rid of their problem.He's been wormed, bathed, given antibiotics, salt soaks, neem oil soaks and oil put on his legs & feet & body to smother them out. He was treated with psp, permethrin & now Ivermectin .The coop was stripped & cleaned and white washed then sprayed with psp & permethrin . His skin is still red from his belly to his tail feathers and the upper part of his neck (one side)He appears to be resistant to treatment. These buggers are a pain to get rid off .

Back
Top Bottom