Depressed Chicken?

When they were all out free ranging, what were they eating? Is there any grass clippings, compost, leaves that they may have consumed?

Tonight, take up all food and water and then check her crop frist thing in the morning. It should be flat and empty. If it's full, that would be her problem.

Good morning,

She came out of the coop and I checked her crop to me it felt empty but she has white runny poop down her feathers.

Let's be sure about the crop and do the check in the morning. Vets sometimes are wrong, especially if they don't often see chickens.

Good morning,

She came out of the coop and I checked her crop to me it felt empty but she has white runny poop down her feathers.

What is her behavior? Is she acting normal?
She's puffed up a bit and after I checked her crop she went back into the coop. She seems lethargic but i think that's because she really hasn't eaten. But she's just expelling that white runny poop now.

I think a crop disorder has been ruled out. That leaves infection or a reproductive issue. Both of those might respond to an oral antibiotic if you have one one hand. If not, you can buy it here. https://www.kvsupply.com/item/aqua-mox-250mg-capsules-100-count/P06184/ You can try calling pet stores and ask for Fish Mox. You want to dose her with 250mg daily for ten days.

Not knowing what's going on specifically, I usually try an antibiotic when I have a chicken behaving like yours.

I think a crop disorder has been ruled out. That leaves infection or a reproductive issue. Both of those might respond to an oral antibiotic if you have one one hand. If not, you can buy it here. https://www.kvsupply.com/item/aqua-mox-250mg-capsules-100-count/P06184/ You can try calling pet stores and ask for Fish Mox. You want to dose her with 250mg daily for ten days.

Not knowing what's going on specifically, I usually try an antibiotic when I have a chicken behaving like yours.

Thank you so much you are being so helpful. One of the other chickens we got in the same group just started laying so maybe it is a reproductive issue.

I do have another vet appointment available today with a vet who they say knows chickens because clearly the first one did not. Should I take her or is another trip just too stressful.

I'm so confused.

Thank you so much you are being so helpful. One of the other chickens we got in the same group just started laying so maybe it is a reproductive issue.

I do have another vet appointment available today with a vet who they say knows chickens because clearly the first one did not. Should I take her or is another trip just too stressful.

I'm so confused.

also when I took her to the first vet her temperature was 105.5 like with other animals or humans would it be higher if she had an infection?

That's a normal temp for a chicken, but fever isn't always present in an infection. It depends on how strong the immune response is. If you have the opportunity to see a vet that is schooled in poultry, by all means take advantage.

Take a recent poop sample with you. Ask the vet to run a fecal float and a gram stain for bacteria. That will tell you if this chicken either has worms or coccidia or a bacterial infection. Further, these tests, if positive, can tell what bacteria or parasite is present.

That's a normal temp for a chicken, but fever isn't always present in an infection. It depends on how strong the immune response is. If you have the opportunity to see a vet that is schooled in poultry, by all means take advantage.

Take a recent poop sample with you. Ask the vet to run a fecal float and a gram stain for bacteria. That will tell you if this chicken either has worms or coccidia or a bacterial infection. Further, these tests, if positive, can tell what bacteria or parasite is present.

Thank you so much for your time. I really do appreciate it so much.

Back
Top Bottom