Depressed chicken

Melanie9565

Songster
Aug 21, 2016
California
Last week one of my last two remaining chickens died. We started with four and two died a couple of years ago. I’m not quite sure why americana died, but her bun was quite messy and we had given her a bath to help. The next morning we were waiting for it to warm up a bit to give her another one. She was hiding in the back of her coop. She saw my husband come outside, took a couple of steps towards the coop door and fell over and died. Now my other chicken will not come down from the top part of her roost. I have been coaxing her to eat with her favorite treats but she will not eat too much. I have tried to bring her down to the lower half and she may stay for a second but she turns around and runs back up to the top level roost. I am considering putting water up there because I am not sure that she is coming down to drink due to the fact she is not coming down to eat as well. I have tried sitting in the coop with her, talking to her and hugging her. Does anyone have anyone have any ideas or helpful advice? I honestly think she is mourning her friend and does not want to be down below where she died.

I'm so sorry for both of you. I think it will take some time for her to get over her friend's death. Being gentle and spending time with her, as you are doing, can help her feel a little less lonely, I would think. Can you bring her inside for part of the day, to hang out with you? Let her sleep indoors so she doesn't feel quite so alone on the roost? Are you considering getting more chickens? A new friend for her may help her to feel like part of a flock again.

Inside is nit an option. 3 dogs one of which is a puppy. I have heard trying to integrate is very hard to do. And she is 4 years old. I wouldn’t know how to begin.

She could use a new friend for sure. Yes integration does take a bit of work and patience, but as long as you have enough coop and run space to work with, it shouldn't be an issue as long as you want to get another bird or two.

If that's not possible (i.e. you don't plan on getting more chickens), then you and your family will need to spend as much time with her as you can, to help make up for the lack of a flock.

She could use a new friend for sure. Yes integration does take a bit of work and patience, but as long as you have enough coop and run space to work with, it shouldn't be an issue as long as you want to get another bird or two.

If that's not possible (i.e. you don't plan on getting more chickens), then you and your family will need to spend as much time with her as you can, to help make up for the lack of a flock.
I’m on the fence about getting a new chicken. But I’ve been trying to spend time with her. I’ll go out tomorrow with some fresh ears of corn and watermelon. I’ll sit out there and sing to her. Hopefully she won’t mind my off key.

Back
Top Bottom