Depressed chickens..HELP does anyone have experience?

motherhenfran

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 25, 2014
I posted something a few weeks back so was hoping I'd have better luck a second time

I unfortunately have to rehome me rooster thanks to a nagging neighbor. He will go back to the farm I got him (HUGE place with free ranging and organic crops and dozens of other chickens) and I was wondering about the behavior of the birds once they're separated.

Will my too become depressed once he's gone? He was raised with the other 5 hens since I got them at a week old. They're 5 1/2 months old and bonded really well. I figure my roo will have plenty of distractions at his new home but am still worried.

ALSO how will my girls react? Will they become depressed without him? They're pretty in line and I'm not worried about anyone picking on anyone else but he protects them and if someone is separated he will find them and show them where everyone else is. Will my girls become sad without him? I'm sure they'll miss him for a few days but I'm hoping after a few days they'll move on/forget after lots of love and attention from me

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE respond if you have any knowledge on this issue

No, they won't get depressed. They'll be just fine and go about their business as usual.

Last edited:
It's been my experience that some hens can form strong individual bonds with each other, and if one hen is especially bonded to another, the loss of that particular hen can be upsetting. But they do adjust.

Roosters are happy little scamps just about anywhere you put them, especially if hens are present. Even a rooster who goes to a home where he's a solitary chicken, he will find plenty to keep himself amused, this also being my experience. Don't worry about your chickens adjusting to this change.

Back
Top Bottom