Depressed Hen....

Appytaz

Songster
11 Years
Jul 18, 2008
Central Florida
I am not sure if this is the right area for this or not.

I have a free range hen that hatched out 13 chicks. The day they hatched and she brought them to the house we moved everyone to the "nursery". They were about 2 weeks old when a family member asked if she could have the babies and wants to hand raise them for pets. She picked up the babies and momma hen has been just so depressed! She has not rejoined the flock, she knocks at the front door and last night she was up on the porch railing hollering into the house. Today is day 3 of this. I am wondering if I should go get her one of the babies or if it will pass in another day or so. It is sooo heartbreaking to see her looking for her babies and she thinks we have them in the house. This is her 3 "litter" and the first ones we didn't let her raise.

I really appreciate any ideas or suggestions!

Our rooster died three weeks ago and my two remaining hens are still not recovered. They still don't know what to do with themselves. You're very kind to see that your hen is upset. If I were in your position, I'd act fast and I'd get back at two of her chicks to cheer her up. Problem solved. Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom