Depressed Macaw With Biting Problem! Somone Please Give Me Answers!!!

I agree with the-bird-man. My blue and gold macaw likes to nip at me to get me to say "ow"------he even says "ow" himself! It's just become a type of game for him. I feel really fortunate that my bird has never bitten me very hard-----although he has bitten. I usualy tell him "no" and then switch him to the other hand or arm, or put him on top of his cage for time-out. These large birds are extremely intelligent, and mine even plays "fetch" with his favorite ball. The only downside to our relationship, is that he is very jealous of my hubby, and will charge him and try to bite him. There are ways to remedy that too, but my hubby is not up to being the bird's only caretaker.

Okay I tried to get a good picture of his chest but my camera is being extremely stupid and wont focus, so I posted a few pictures from a couple months ago (I know, I'm going to try and get some recent ones soon) In these pictures his chest looked a little better actually. So it looks a little worse now.

60753_sggggggg_355.jpg
[/img]
60753_sggggggg_356.jpg
[/img]
60753_sggggggg_357.jpg
[/img]

in the pix they look normal to me but that could change in time. i know a lot of the time people will freak out because they think their bird is plucking when it turns out they are not and by freaking out the bird feels it and the bird develops problems. so i would not worry too much, when you post the new pix i am sure everything will be alright and hopefully we can put your mind at ease. just keep working with him and it will be alright. your doing great with him
smile.png

Quote:
Also I have learned with mine that if you do not allow them to bite you you will be much better off... If they bite and you react they quickly learn they have that leverage over you. I just dont get bit i avoid it at all costs allthough I have been tore up by my military macaw when I first met him he did not want to leave his home lol and was letting me know i was down right not welcome there but now we are the best of buds!! Also sounds like you have all kinds of good stuff for him to play in!

jarodw45 - Haha Thanks!
tongue.png

AS you can all see he really enjoys starring out my window. When a wild bird flies by he growls. literally.
lol.png
I didn't get bitten today. Though he was NOT happy about going back into his cage and refused to get off my hand
lol.png
I thank everyone for their answers! I really enjoy reading all the replies I get. Whether it's about stopping the biting or not
smile.png

Quote:
your gonna get the sh!% bit out you if your mean to to him pluse it damiges them mentily because they have a resone to bite that the owner is not listing to but pinching back is a terrible thing to do....put him back in his cage and ignore him if the bitting persists but look at body lauguge my hahn's mini macaw will bite if he is out to long and no longer wants to play

Back
Top Bottom