Depressed Rooster

FluffyButtBabies

Songster
Jun 24, 2020
Virginia
I have a six month old Polish Rooster who started crowing a month ago. We're only planning on keeping him till next spring, so we can have some lovely Polish cross chicks. So we got him a crow collar and started taking him every night so he wouldn't disrupt the neighbors in the mornings. He sleeps on his own at night, and we take the collar off so his skin doesn't get irritated. This has been the system for about a month. But for the past few days I've noticed a behavior change in Goose. Physically there seems to be nothing wrong with him. He eats and drinks, fluffs his feathers, walks around and makes noise. His poops are perfect, he has no lice or mites, and the hens are all healthy as well. But he's grown substantially more docile, almost unhealthily so. I assumed the daily handling might have made him more used to human interaction, because he always lets me move him around however I want without complaint. But in the coop as well, he'll stand still with a slightly lowered head. He'll react to strange noises and takes basic care of himself, but it's almost like he's depressed. I was worried the collar was bothering him so I took it off, but there's been no change in his sad behavior. In addition, he's stopped crowing altogether (he makes warning noises and cries when the hens leave him, but he doesn't TRY). Like I said, I've been watching him incredibly carefully and there are no physical ailments that are obvious to me. Does anybody know what could be wrong? Is he sick with something? Is he sad? And can chickens even GET depressed? Any help is appreciated!

My neighbor said he has used dog bark shock collars to break roosters from crowing, but I don't know how he could keep one on a bird. I didn't ask if he built a special harness for the birds. :gig :confused:

Well he had just barely started crowing when I put the collar on, so it's definitely possible that he's being discouraged to crow. Start early in training lol. And honestly, I'd be perfectly fine with a quieter rooster. But the issue is his melancholy behavior. Is he SAD that he doesn't sleep with everyone? Or bothered that he has to wear the collar? I've had a hen die from what I thought was depression before. She was incredibly bonded with this younger rooster who was attacked by a raccoon and killed. She basically stopped eating altogether and passed away after a few days, and I really don't want a similar situation on my hands.

Well he had just barely started crowing when I put the collar on, so it's definitely possible that he's being discouraged to crow. Start early in training lol. And honestly, I'd be perfectly fine with a quieter rooster. But the issue is his melancholy behavior. Is he SAD that he doesn't sleep with everyone? Or bothered that he has to wear the collar? I've had a hen die from what I thought was depression before. She was incredibly bonded with this younger rooster who was attacked by a raccoon and killed. She basically stopped eating altogether and passed away after a few days, and I really don't want a similar situation on my hands.
Sorry for your loss. I've had a few roosters that got their butts kicked daily by other roosters and would leave the flock or live on the outside edge of the flock. I'd let him sleep with the rest before they forget him and won't let him back in.

I keep my highly hormonal silkie cockerel separate from the pullets for now as they are not all sexually mature yet, he gets to go back in with them when they have gone in at night. He is also in eye sight of the others. He seems to be fine with this arrangement for now. Maybe your little guy just needs to be kept where he can see the others, and sleep/roost with them? :)

Well he hangs out with them all day, so I thought that would be enough. And I only take him in late after they've all started roosting and put him right back in the coop by morning. Will sleeping with them really make a difference?

Though chickens can get depressed, that’s not what’s wrong with him. I believe he’s ill. You should post pictures and a video of him so people can help you figure this out.

Back
Top Bottom