Depressing

stephys_fluffybutts

Songster
12 Years
Feb 6, 2007
chickensmackdown
So another day of dispare. Seems like its never ending. I always have something dieing.

So here It goes.

I hatched a cute little white silkie rooster on October 11th of 2008.
He started out very slow. Around 3 months I noticed something was wrong with him. I couldnt tell what be he was allot smaller then his brothers and sisters.
Going to shorten it a bit. But he eventually got severe crooked neck. The last 3 weeks I decided to go ahead and feed him myself. It was tideouse. But I did it.
To me he was doing allot better with the weight gain. So I would leave him be and I wouldnt feed him till night. Hopeing he would eat a bit on his own during the day.

I came out last night trying to feed him. I noticed he wasn't acting to good. So I was glad to get out there. He had a hard time swallowing his food. I didn't feed him allot because he was acting stressed so I figured that was enough. I put him in his cage and left.

I didnt get out there till 11 today...
Well I found him dead in the corner I put him last night. I could tell he died a few minutes after I came inside.

He was such a preciouse little bird. He had to be the tiniest silkie in the world.
It was a miracle he lived for an entire year.

I miss you already
hit.gif

Quote:
I know how you feel.When my dad told me that my dog was going to be put down,I just cried and ran into my room.I couldn't even look at Daddy.I wanted to kill him.He was going to have our precious Ebony killed because it costs money to figure out what's wrong with her.Sadly,despite my ides to pull her out of this mess,she was put down the next morning
hit.gif
Ebony will be missed.I want another dog soon though,one that looks like Ebony.

Sorry about your roo
hit.gif
hugs.gif

hugs.gif
Awww, I'm so sorry for your losses, and your heartbreak because of them.

Unfortunately, this is just part of the cost of keeping and loving chickens. Along with chicken poop, you also have to expect & accept losses. Some are more difficult to bear than others, I know. Especially if you think you were somehow at fault because of neglect or poor judgment.

But we live & we learn, & often learn the hard way. Sometimes we can redeem a bad experience by sharing about it here so others can learn from our mistakes.

Veterinarian care has made some magnificent advances and many illnesses & injuries that used to be hopeless can now be remedied. But that also usually comes with an enormous cost, which puts the pet owner in the dilemma of choosing between medical treatment for an animal and some other essential financial need, like housing or groceries for the rest of the family.

Instead of getting depressed about your chickens' medical needs why not let it motivate you to learn all you can about caring for them yourself? It's a wonderful feeling to know that you helped cure a sick bird, or relieved its suffering, or fixed its problem. You may not be able to save them all, but when you do have success it's all the more reason to rejoice. You've got a fantastic resource here on BYC with a large community of folks with a lot of wisdom about chicken care. Perhaps you could also volunteer with a local vet or wildlife refuge and learn by watching & helping them.
Soon you will be able to stop your
hit.gif
and the
hit.gif
of others and turn them all into
celebrate.gif
ya.gif
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom