Derperella, the (weird) Faverolles, & Friends

Pics
I love the intensity in her eyes!!!
lol.png

Quote:
That's right, us Derpsters have discovered the one true, erm, Derp? She's just a beautiful girl. I kept checking up on her while I travelled from one side of the globe to the other - Derp helped me survive jetlag and being away from my loved ones. GO DERP!

Quote:
Both of my faverolles haven't started laying yet-- I understand that they are slower to mature. They are 6 months old on the 9th of this month!
I've read that the faverolles egg is typically a very light tan, beige color. Not quite white but light. Here's a photo from the "Breeds" list, at the very tippy top of the page if you scroll up, you can find what egg color most popular breeds lay:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/breeds/images/faverolles/faverolles-7443-715584.jpg

That said, I bet if Derp ever lays an egg, it will be paisley teal and purple...

I have a couple of hatchery quality Faverolles myself, though not brown all over like your lovely Derp! My Flower does have a lovely black beard though..... Petal lays a small pinkish cream colored egg and Flower lays a slightly darker tannish pinky egg. They're both actually very regular layers, some of our best, and they started laying not long after our RSLs. They squat, love to be petted, follow us around the yard and sound like Seagulls when they lay an egg. They will SING and SING and SING for an hour plus every time one of them lays an egg and if one lays then the other one must help her sing. Flower is pretty smart for a chicken, but Petal is a little well... a little bit like your Derp actually. She gets lost sometimes in the yard and can't find her way home. She also seems to exist outside the pecking order as if the other hens just feel too bad to peck her.

Love the Derp stories, very sweet.
smile.png

Quote:
Both of my faverolles haven't started laying yet-- I understand that they are slower to mature. They are 6 months old on the 9th of this month!
I've read that the faverolles egg is typically a very light tan, beige color. Not quite white but light. Here's a photo from the "Breeds" list, at the very tippy top of the page if you scroll up, you can find what egg color most popular breeds lay:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/breeds/images/faverolles/faverolles-7443-715584.jpg

That said, I bet if Derp ever lays an egg, it will be paisley teal and purple...

I have a couple of hatchery quality Faverolles myself, though not brown all over like your lovely Derp! My Flower does have a lovely black beard though..... Petal lays a small pinkish cream colored egg and Flower lays a slightly darker tannish pinky egg. They're both actually very regular layers, some of our best, and they started laying not long after our RSLs. They squat, love to be petted, follow us around the yard and sound like Seagulls when they lay an egg. They will SING and SING and SING for an hour plus every time one of them lays an egg and if one lays then the other one must help her sing. Flower is pretty smart for a chicken, but Petal is a little well... a little bit like your Derp actually. She gets lost sometimes in the yard and can't find her way home. She also seems to exist outside the pecking order as if the other hens just feel too bad to peck her.

Love the Derp stories, very sweet.
smile.png

I love the Faverolles! I just wish they weren't such pushovers with my other hens...
Coho started laying yesterday and I was surprised to find that her egg is a large, dark brown (not DARK like wellies or a marans). It's slightly darker than my red sex link which was my darkest egg till now.

Back
Top Bottom