Derperella, the (weird) Faverolles, & Friends

Oh they are just beautiful!
hugs.gif

Quote:

That's so funny as my goldtop is called Millie, but she gets called Mildred when she is being broody LOL!

Thank you for posting this picture, as it answers a lot of questions.
smile.png
Zhivago is white, not splash. Cochins carry recessive white and with recessive white you sometimes have chicks that have smoky colored down, which is likely why Zhivago was believed to be splash. The tricky thing about recessive white is that it is recessive as you may have guessed, and so if two birds are seemingly pure for a color but are in fact split to recessive white, then 25% of their offspring will be recessive white. This is what I'm assuming has happened here.

When crossing a recessive white bird to a blue splash bird, assuming the recessive white bird is black beneath the recessive white, 100% of offspring will be blue split to recessive white. If Zhivago is blue beneath the recessive white, roughly half of his offspring will still be blue as Baron is, and all will still be split to recessive white. As far as I know, there is no way that a splash bird crossed with a splash bird would produce a blue bird (splash is Bl/Bl while blue is Bl/bl+; entered in a Punnet square, you can easily see why this can't happen). So in conclusion, Zhivago is most likely genetically either blue or black beneath recessive white.

Oh, wonderful!! Thank you so much for your explanation. I was very puzzled as to what had happened here, as you said, the Punnet square for the parent birds just didn't equal a blue, if I entered Zhivago as a splash! While I love my birds no matter what their heritage, and since I don't plan on breeding it doesn't actually matter too much, I am fascinated by this and truly love learning more. Thank you!

Glad to be of help. :) I don't breed my birds either, but learning about the genetics behind the many feather patterns has been one of my favorite parts of chickening. Well, that and raising these complex, beautiful, quirky, loving birds. :love

What beautiful little Cochins. I love the name Baron Rufflerump. The Cochins are two more reasons for me to love the Derp thread. Seeing their photos is like a walk down memory lane. Over four years ago we hatched some eggs, and five of them were Cochins (two roos, and three hens). Here is Colin mid feather-ruffle. And Sophie. She still lays some eggs, but she loves going broody.
Oh what a gorgeous pair!
Mildred+Moa will equal one heck of a time. Thanks for the update!! :ya
Agreed!
Hm, you know, this has made me think. Back when I was picking out which of the brothers to adopt (and chose Trousers), I commented that the splash roos really looked white to me. Zhivago (Baron Rufflerump's dad) is one of these roos. The parent stock of THOSE roos came from a lady that breeds them for conformity and is part of Cochins Intn'l. I asked her, since she sold the hatching eggs as blue/black/splash. She said she had a bird that was throwing really washed out splashes. I wonder if this is where the mystery "blue" came from? Here's Zhivago (minus some feathers-- he was being a pain to catch and vaccinate and had a minor Tail Incident). (Photo courtesy of Cheryl!)
Wow! He's a looker!
Thank you for posting this picture, as it answers a lot of questions. :) Zhivago is white, not splash. Cochins carry recessive white and with recessive white you sometimes have chicks that have smoky colored down, which is likely why Zhivago was believed to be splash. The tricky thing about recessive white is that it is recessive as you may have guessed, and so if two birds are seemingly pure for a color but are in fact split to recessive white, then 25% of their offspring will be recessive white. This is what I'm assuming has happened here. When crossing a recessive white bird to a blue splash bird, assuming the recessive white bird is black beneath the recessive white, 100% of offspring will be blue split to recessive white. If Zhivago is blue beneath the recessive white, roughly half of his offspring will still be blue as Baron is, and all will still be split to recessive white. As far as I know, there is no way that a splash bird crossed with a splash bird would produce a blue bird (splash is Bl/Bl while blue is Bl/bl+; entered in a Punnet square, you can easily see why this can't happen). So in conclusion, Zhivago is most likely genetically either blue or black beneath recessive white.
I think I need a pill... I could never remember all this. I think I will stick with basic colors.

A week or so ago I said I was going to post some pics of this years fav pullets... Well, don't want to be a liar...

The one on the left is the daughter of the one on the right.

This one is a BANTAM!! She is so tiny, and so funny!

A trio, they are all half sibs.

Perfect coloring on this one.

Beulah's other daughter.

Last edited:
Baron does have a handsome father, though for me I would worry more about if their was any human or hen aggression shown in the family line, than looks. I would take a friendly non aggressive ugly rooster than a mean handsome one any day of the week.
Nambroth, I am sure once quartine is over and your hens have spotted the newcomers that you will be getting a lot stinkeye from them :)

Baron Rufflerump... LOVE LOVE LOVE the name. LOL I just realized it didn't end up in my quote!

And thanks. They are definitely a... funky group of favs. I look around and I see all the pures and a few of the mutt girls.. I have one mutt girl who is cross of fav roo over NH... She's a bit bigger than the fav pullets, looks like a fav pullet, but rich golden red color.

Back
Top Bottom