Derperella, the (weird) Faverolles, & Friends

Huh. I wonder if chickens go through growing pains. When I was a teen I'd get such horrible charlie horses that I'd be pinned to the ground and afterwards I'd limp.

I don't know. I had terrible pains too, deep aches in my bones. It was terrible!

I don't think this is quite what is going on, though. Poor Puddles can't put any weight on the leg at all. He has full control of the leg and can move it and his toes, but won't put any weight on it.

Well tissue can heal, it might take longer than bone sometimes but he is young so I am sure he will heal up well. It seems that the double vaccination as a day old chick and as a eight week old chicks have worked for Baron and Millie. I wonder if the vet would reccomend doing yearly Marek's vaccinations for all your older hens and as Millie and Baron age as well. I wonder if he was trying a move on one of the girls to mate or fly up some where and slipped. I also know the Marek's vaccination can fade after a while. So I don't know why they don't encourage chicken breeders and owners to revaccinate. I won't think that would be such a difference between revaccinatining for almost all other vaccines that mammals and humans take, so the same might apply to poultry/avain vaccines.

Well tissue can heal, it might take longer than bone sometimes but he is young so I am sure he will heal up well. It seems that the double vaccination as a day old chick and as a eight week old chicks have worked for Baron and Millie. I wonder if the vet would reccomend doing yearly Marek's vaccinations for all your older hens and as Millie and Baron age as well. I wonder if he was trying a move on one of the girls to mate or fly up some where and slipped. I also know the Marek's vaccination can fade after a while. So I don't know why they don't encourage chicken breeders and owners to revaccinate. I won't think that would be such a difference between revaccinatining for almost all other vaccines that mammals and humans take, so the same might apply to poultry/avain vaccines.

Baron Rufflerump's not interested in mating... at least, not yet. He's not crowing or cutting a wing (rooster dancing!) or even popping a flare at the hens to 'ask' them to mate. It will probably be another few months before that happens. Cochins are slooow. :)

Marek's resistance/immunity does not quite work that way, at least as far as we know with current science. The chick's immune system has already built resistance, or not, by the age that my birds are. When their bodies are challenged by Marek's, only time will tell, and it depends on genetics, overall health, immune system at that time, stress, and other factors. Would giving my birds a 'booster' help them at this point, since they have already all been exposed to Marek's virus for sure? Probably not. Would it hurt? Probably not, unless their immune system was weakened.

To Baron Rufflerump aka: puddles>>>> HEAL SIR! huggs & kisses to the big old teddy bear and keep giving him that good old TLC....some of the best medicine ever invented for chickens! :love

p.s. Just curious, did the Dr. suggest any extra vitamin suppliments for puddles?

Quote:

Maybe he's been practicing his funky rooster mating dance secretly before he tries it out in public.
wink.png

I certainly think that my 17 week old Sussex(ish) roo - Boris - should have done so.

This past week he has been trying to woo the girls with a totally bizarre sideways shuffle, scratch and shimmy. They look at him as if he just dropped in from another planet, and it looks to me as if a twisted ankle or torn ligament is on the cards if he doesn't work out exactly what the moves are before he starts trying to strut his stuff!

How is Baron Rufflerump de Puddles doing - any improvement with the medication?

Last edited:
The Baron is doing the same as a week ago. Exactly the same! No downhill, but no improvement either. Yesterday I gently manipulated his leg, while watching him very carefully for any sort of reaction. No reaction. On a whim, I placed his gimpy foot where it should go if he were to stand on it, and using my other hand I pushed forward on his ankle to straighten his leg into a standing position. When I did this, and held his ankle gently in place, he immediately put his weight on it and started preening happily. Encouraged, I had him try to walk without my support on his ankle. He couldn't.
I then repeated the ankle support... making a 'brace' with my fingers, gently, in holding the ankle in a standing position. Again, he immediately put weight on it, and actually put his entire weight on it for a moment so he could scratch his face. No signs of pain. Hmmm!! I wonder if he has torn a ligament?? If so, I am not sure what to do. If we were to brace his ankle, he could not sit down to rest or keep his feet warm. If I let him alone, he sits most of the day and so keeps this joint flexed. I will call my vet tomorrow and ask her opinion on what we should do.

Either way, it truly does not seem neurological, as he has total control of the leg and foot, but simply cannot seem to put weight on it without a brace at the ankle.

I'll let you all know what I find out!

Here are some photos to tide you over....
Willow REALLY loves the cochins!! She preens them and tries to snuggle into their fluff. They like her, too.

Back
Top Bottom