Derperella, the (weird) Faverolles, & Friends

Awww, let me add my thanks for the video....so good to see him! He looks absolutely fantastic...under the circumstances, that is! Hard to believe that a roo that looks that healthy could be sick! Still rooting for "Team Ruffles"!
PS: I'll bet Juniper would be good company for him...with supervision, that is! Have you had them together at all?

Awww, let me add my thanks for the video....so good to see him! He looks absolutely fantastic...under the circumstances, that is! Hard to believe that a roo that looks that healthy could be sick! Still rooting for "Team Ruffles"!
PS: I'll bet Juniper would be good company for him...with supervision, that is! Have you had them together at all?

Is his crow similar to his dad's crow?
And yes, Juniper has run of the house, she has been allowed near him since we brought him in. She's scared of him, as he tagged her once (harmlessly kicked at her tail) when he was more mobile, in January. I guess he's grown into a real rooster and he will protect us (his only flock, for now) from any predator-- even the kitty he grew up with! He doesn't go out of his way to get her by any means, as he stays on his towels, but if she gets very close he will scold her and flare his hackles out. She really likes the smell of some of the pellets I offer him, I think because they have salmon fishmeal in them, and he will tell her to back off!
Juniper is scared of him so I am not worried about her hurting him; and he's not mobile or aggressive enough to go after her. I think he realizes she's not really a threat anymore, but he does not like her close to him.

Here's a quick video of the Baron for you all!
Sorry about the clutter. The vacuum cleaner needs to be nearby for... obvious reasons.. and I like having his food and water handy, too. The lamp is so he has a bit more light on these overcast days. The paper towels, well, you know what those are for!
Having him indoors and having to take care of him is a big time sink, and it has me a bit behind on housekeeping. I am sure you understand!

He is so excited when I visit, he often walks over to my lap, as he did at the start of the video.
Warning, mid way though he CROWS! It is loud as he does it right into the phone speaker! Mind your volume!

0.jpg
my house roosters started answering him! LOL! he is coming right along, amazing to see him up and working on walking!

OMG!! I hadn't read the thread in over 200 posts... since the beginning of January, and just finished them all to now. Was devasted and then elated! I am so happy he's beating what ever this is at this point.

Of all the phoenix and yokos and jap bants I hatched over last spring, and then got Mareks with them, did do a late vac on them, I have a breeding pair of each breed left. I just lost my lovely Mr Ed to the mareks, and I was so sure he was beating it too... until he went totally blind and then refused to eat, and when I did force him to eat, he'd gag... gasp... found that darn tumor in his craw... He was such a lovely guy... He never did have the paralysis though. I had all the forms of marek present too... Just awful... SOO I was sad to think Puddles was going to have it...

I have read that some recover after time, and maybe this is what is the case, a mild presentation, albeit, not really... but I hope you know what I mean...

Have you tired the rickets diet to help him out? I have used the same diet on an ill silkie who was not suffering from rickets but something else all together, don't know what, probably a marek presentation, and she's made a full recovery, so much so that she's a tried and true silkie bator. However, now, there will be no more chicks to hatch here... only eggs will go out for hatching else where. Will only keep the birds I have, and mourn them as they slowly pass on. When there have been no birds over a winter, I will try again, with vaccinated birds... Just an awful disease....

ANYWAY, so glad to catch up even with the sad to happy news, it is still so worth the read on this thread.

Here's a quick video of the Baron for you all!
Sorry about the clutter. The vacuum cleaner needs to be nearby for... obvious reasons.. and I like having his food and water handy, too. The lamp is so he has a bit more light on these overcast days. The paper towels, well, you know what those are for!
Having him indoors and having to take care of him is a big time sink, and it has me a bit behind on housekeeping. I am sure you understand!

He is so excited when I visit, he often walks over to my lap, as he did at the start of the video.
Warning, mid way though he CROWS! It is loud as he does it right into the phone speaker! Mind your volume!

0.jpg
Wow! such a miracle to see him pulling through...and what a handsome boy he is...curious though, did you shave his bottom half or is that just how his feathers are growing....whatever the case, he is such a handsome boy and true to cochin nature a well behaved gentle boy too. Here's to his ongoing recovery...

Well glad to see Baron is doing better and standing and crowing quite loudly. And putting the fear of God in your new kitten. Hopefully she will associate all your birds as being the boss and that they are to be left alone, and not toys to be played to death with.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom