Derperella, the (weird) Faverolles, & Friends

Well, I think Baron is on the mend-- just slowly!
Last night he felt it was very important to 'roost' with us... imagine my shock when he ran over (it was clumsy and stiff) and JUMPED up onto the couch with us so he could be in my lap!! By golly he surprised us! He was so happy to sleep there until we all went to bed.

Sometimes he seems pretty weak on his legs, sometimes he seems more confident. He may have good and bad days for a while. I know if it was neurological, and he had actual lesions on his nerves, it can heal.. but it can take a long time! That's okay. We are patient with him.

It was a month ago that we were at the vet with him, and we thought he was dying! A whole month has passed. Isn't it amazing!

As far as Marek's... I do know it is being found more frequently in flocks here in WNY (Western NY state). I was talking with my vet and she has seen an increased incidence of it in the last two years, and so has a local farm/hatchery north of here. To the point where they are vaccinating all their chicks now.

wee.gif
So happy for you and the Baron - every day seems to be a little bit better!
He must love you so much to want to jump up and sleep in your lap
love.gif
He knows that the fud lady is sooo good to him!

Fud Lady, you mean someone else has a derp double and created that avatar?
gig.gif
I think Baron is really enjoying a taste of house chicken - he'll be typing away on a keyboard in no time.

my boys must be oddballs then. They looked like muppets at two months or so:D

Are they hatchery birds? All of the cochins from this line seem to mature slooooooooow! He's also been sitting on his fluff a lot and it's a bit flattened looking.
I trimmed his hocks a little too, because they were just becoming poop paddles, with his inactivity.

Poor Baron, he seems to be under the microscope 24/7 - every minute thing he does or doesn't do is criticized ; his butt feathers, his crow, his sex drive. Fandom certainly has it downside. There is ONE Baron and all he has to be is himself.

Okay off the soapbox - nothing to see here folks - please go back to regularly scheduled activities

Our Cochin roo took quite a while to feather out. He was hatchery stock. He's lovely now, but long after the others had outgrown their awkward stages he was called "Dino Baby".

He never looked as rough as our Faverolle boy did, though. Bless his heart.

Back
Top Bottom