Derperella, the (weird) Faverolles, & Friends

Quote: have you had him tested for mg(you probably have)? the only reason i ask is i just discovered it in dealing with my flock
here is what i saw on it that clicked- i believe you can have them tested by the NPIP tester

Mycoplasma synoviae
Clinical signs: Birds infected with the synovitis form show lameness, followed by lethargy, reluctance to move, swollen joints, stilted gait, loss of weight, and formation of breast blisters. Greenish diarrhea is common in dying birds

Last edited:
We did not have him tested for MG... we discussed it with the vet, who wisely said it's not impossible, but that she really didn't feel his symptoms fit, especially since she did a good exam of his respiratory system and has x-rays of his lungs. Since I have a closed flock (at least, none out) and he's already had a strong antibiotic course, it doesn't make a lot of difference, but I may test later on for ease of mind. We're just running on financial fumes right now so additional testing is off the plate unless it can somehow improve his condition.

In fact I have researched other conditions that can cause lameness/leg paralysis (his only real symptom, still, to date, other than his blood test) and have found others. I've added them to my big Marek's FAQ in case it helps anyone else, and have discussed them with my vet. (That section has been getting longer and longer, the more research I do... oi!! It can feel VERY overwhelming!)

If I see symptoms of anything else in Ruffles or any of the other birds, I will act, but for now we are just trying to let him get better; even if it is one of the other problems I have researched, there is little in the way of treatment for any of the ones it might be.

In good news, he can run across the entire basement now! That's about 35 feet! He goes across and then back with the Fud Guy guiding (but not helping) him.

Good to hear the Baron is running, Nambroth and walking more, we might never know what affected him. Nambroth is your kitten scared of just Baron or is she wary of all the birds know that he has flared and pecked her hard once or twice ?

thumbsup.gif
we just love hearing good news about the Baron.
love.gif

We did not have him tested for MG... we discussed it with the vet, who wisely said it's not impossible, but that she really didn't feel his symptoms fit, especially since she did a good exam of his respiratory system and has x-rays of his lungs. Since I have a closed flock (at least, none out) and he's already had a strong antibiotic course, it doesn't make a lot of difference, but I may test later on for ease of mind. We're just running on financial fumes right now so additional testing is off the plate unless it can somehow improve his condition.

In fact I have researched other conditions that can cause lameness/leg paralysis (his only real symptom, still, to date, other than his blood test) and have found others. I've added them to my big Marek's FAQ in case it helps anyone else, and have discussed them with my vet. (That section has been getting longer and longer, the more research I do... oi!! It can feel VERY overwhelming!)

If I see symptoms of anything else in Ruffles or any of the other birds, I will act, but for now we are just trying to let him get better; even if it is one of the other problems I have researched, there is little in the way of treatment for any of the ones it might be.

In good news, he can run across the entire basement now! That's about 35 feet! He goes across and then back with the Fud Guy guiding (but not helping) him.

oh so many possibles, the good thing is he is a fighter and is getting better! that is so encouraging!

Back
Top Bottom