Derperella, the (weird) Faverolles, & Friends

What beautiful little Cochins. I love the name Baron Rufflerump. The Cochins are two more reasons for me to love the Derp thread. Seeing their photos is like a walk down memory lane. Over four years ago we hatched some eggs, and five of them were Cochins (two roos, and three hens). Here is Colin mid feather-ruffle. And Sophie. She still lays some eggs, but she loves going broody.
That pic of Sophie is amazing! Looks like a beautiful painting.

Mildred+Moa will equal one heck of a time.
Thanks for the update!!
ya.gif

Love the names!
big_smile.png
Is Mildred going to be going by Milly or by her full name?

Baron is blue, by the way. Splash, as my beloved Marans Frou-Frou will model, is more like this:

And about the same age as your little ones:

Which leads me to suspect that there was a blue or black hen in the flock whose eggs got mixed up with Olga's.
wink.png

We will probably call her Millie if she is being sweet, and Mildred when she is being stern!!
gig.gif

I have seen on another thread where someone had a blue chicken but had a few white feathers here and there, and they were told that it was a splash bird. Any thoughts? I'll try to find it again...

Cheryl didn't have any blue hens (alas, not for a lack of trying!). She actually caught Olga laying this egg, which is why she decided to put it under her broody, so it's definitely Olga's! Very mysterious.

Interesting! I suppose that's possible, as blue is a dilution of black and the 'splashes' of a homozygous bird are apparently where the dilution has not affected the color. I only recently started looking at genetics, so I'm far from an expert. This is intriguing, though, and I will look into it--though it'll have to be later as I'm using my phone at the moment to check BYC and it's difficult to do much more than that with it. :/

Interesting! I suppose that's possible, as blue is a dilution of black and the 'splashes' of a homozygous bird are apparently where the dilution has not affected the color. I only recently started looking at genetics, so I'm far from an expert. This is intriguing, though, and I will look into it--though it'll have to be later as I'm using my phone at the moment to check BYC and it's difficult to do much more than that with it.
hmm.png

Hm, you know, this has made me think. Back when I was picking out which of the brothers to adopt (and chose Trousers), I commented that the splash roos really looked white to me. Zhivago (Baron Rufflerump's dad) is one of these roos. The parent stock of THOSE roos came from a lady that breeds them for conformity and is part of Cochins Intn'l. I asked her, since she sold the hatching eggs as blue/black/splash. She said she had a bird that was throwing really washed out splashes. I wonder if this is where the mystery "blue" came from?

Here's Zhivago (minus some feathers-- he was being a pain to catch and vaccinate and had a minor Tail Incident).
(Photo courtesy of Cheryl!)

Last edited:
Fud Lady thank you for giving us a major dose of Baron and Mildred - it's been awhile since our craving has been satisfied. I think Baron is a splash, when he is rolling is the dust - that's what it looks like.

Mildred does have the stern look down pat, I think in a previous life she was either a school principal or a librarian. I used to get that' look' often in elementary school because I talked too much. One look from Mildred and I would probably shut up for the rest of the year. Scary
hide.gif

Interesting! I suppose that's possible, as blue is a dilution of black and the 'splashes' of a homozygous bird are apparently where the dilution has not affected the color. I only recently started looking at genetics, so I'm far from an expert. This is intriguing, though, and I will look into it--though it'll have to be later as I'm using my phone at the moment to check BYC and it's difficult to do much more than that with it. :/
Hm, you know, this has made me think. Back when I was picking out which of the brothers to adopt (and chose Trousers), I commented that the splash roos really looked white to me. Zhivago (Baron Rufflerump's dad) is one of these roos. The parent stock of THOSE roos came from a lady that breeds them for conformity and is part of Cochins Intn'l. I asked her, since she sold the hatching eggs as blue/black/splash. She said she had a bird that was throwing really washed out splashes. I wonder if this is where the mystery "blue" came from? Here's Zhivago (minus some feathers-- he was being a pain to catch and vaccinate and had a minor Tail Incident). (Photo courtesy of Cheryl!)
Thank you for posting this picture, as it answers a lot of questions. :) Zhivago is white, not splash. Cochins carry recessive white and with recessive white you sometimes have chicks that have smoky colored down, which is likely why Zhivago was believed to be splash. The tricky thing about recessive white is that it is recessive as you may have guessed, and so if two birds are seemingly pure for a color but are in fact split to recessive white, then 25% of their offspring will be recessive white. This is what I'm assuming has happened here. When crossing a recessive white bird to a blue splash bird, assuming the recessive white bird is black beneath the recessive white, 100% of offspring will be blue split to recessive white. If Zhivago is blue beneath the recessive white, roughly half of his offspring will still be blue as Baron is, and all will still be split to recessive white. As far as I know, there is no way that a splash bird crossed with a splash bird would produce a blue bird (splash is Bl/Bl while blue is Bl/bl+; entered in a Punnet square, you can easily see why this can't happen). So in conclusion, Zhivago is most likely genetically either blue or black beneath recessive white.

Back
Top Bottom