Design a coop out of a shed?

Bensdad2009

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2016
NJ
So I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on making a coop out of a 4x6 resin shed like the one in the attached link. I was thinking a small door could be cut in the side which would lead to a run, my chicks will be free ranged most of the time but I also want a run for times when I don't want them out.

http://www.sears.com/keter-manor-4x6/p-07198345000P?prdNo=9&blockNo=9&blockType=G9

I was thinking nesting boxes out of Ikea shelving would work well with the shallow boxes as nesting boxes (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S79102958/). and roosting bars can be added.

Any thoughts?

Anything will work as long as it offers the appropriate protection from the elements and predators. One thing I have learned is that many start out thinking they will only get X amount of chickens but will end up with many more. So when buying/building your first coop make sure to go big. Always good to have extra space and never good to not have enough.

When it comes to nest boxes...those don't have to be fancy. I had some old and unused hive boxes (for bees) laying around. I put them on the ground in my shed before building my big and dark nest box. Well guess what my chickens prefer? Lol the stupid boxes sitting on the ground and not the nice dark and quiet nest box I built. Oh well.

Anything will work as long as it offers the appropriate protection from the elements and predators. One thing I have learned is that many start out thinking they will only get X amount of chickens but will end up with many more. So when buying/building your first coop make sure to go big. Always good to have extra space and never good to not have enough.

When it comes to nest boxes...those don't have to be fancy. I had some old and unused hive boxes (for bees) laying around. I put them on the ground in my shed before building my big and dark nest box. Well guess what my chickens prefer? Lol the stupid boxes sitting on the ground and not the nice dark and quiet nest box I built. Oh well.
Haha yeah a friend of mine actually uses 5 gallon home depot buckets on their side with hay in them and the hens seem to love them.

Quote:
yep I use pine shavings in mine though
woot.gif

Back
Top Bottom