Design of Interior of Coop Thoughts please?

triggfamily5

Songster
9 Years
Mar 30, 2010
Moorcroft, WY
Help please.

DH is going to start building new 12 x 16 coop.
wee.gif
He is building the outside, I need to tell him how I want the inside.
hide.gif

The coop will be insulated for the Wyoming winters/wind.

I am planning on splitting (maybe with a half wall? wood on bottom, chicken wire on top?) the inside so I have a brooding area and storage area. Though I am not sure where to put the human door into the coop, and how to set up this area too (can have a pop door into a run for babies)

I would like to build hopper feeders so I can put in bags of feed at a time (I use flock raiser and oyster shells). Scratch will be stored in storage area for treats. I am thinking this will go on the inside wall in case it rains it doesn't get wet if the windows are open.

Not sure what I am going to do with water yet....

Winter time might have up to 40 chickens, 50 in the summer (free ranging).

I figured I need about 60' of roost space??? I would like to make it one level at 5' , or maybe one level 5' on one side and a one level 4' on the other side??
hu.gif
I have a mixed flock of small, medium and heavy breeds.

The pop door needs to be on the south side for run access (for times when that is all they can get b/c of weather) Run access will have a human door that I can prop open for free ranging.

I am not sure how to make the nest boxes yet (where to put, size and quantity), and am trying to think of a way I can incorporate broody hens as I don't want them to have babies and fall out of the nests...

I get one chance to get this right, as he won't redo for me. I am not creative, and I have a problem with visualizing size and stuff when designing (I try to fit too much in too little)

Please help
bow.gif
Nothing is set in stone yet, except that he wants screen windows for summer ventilation on the north wall (covered up in the winter) and the human door going into the coop is where he wants it.

I have even contemplated being able to have removable sections for setting up some breeding pens in the spring/summer for flock management and selling of eggs, but i don't think this will be feasible.

52688_coop.jpg

Last edited:
It sounds good. I like the idea of splitting the coop into two sections, but I would do it with ALL mesh so they can still see each other. It might help with introducing new chickens that way :)

We are also in the first stages of building a 12'x16' coop. My 12' across will be the front with a 1 foot overhang. The human door and a 2 ft window on each side. Mine will be split 6' for the storage part and 10' for the girls. He is running water to it so I can have a sink and counter top in storage area. This will be on the left side as you enter with another 2' window over counter top.

Middle of the left side chicken part will have another large door with full lights for me to get to the run through the coop. Also that side will have the automatic pop door. The back will have windows across it and the sides. We haven't really determined how many will be needed yet.

The outside of the run will include a 16'x8' roof tied into the coop roof to give the girls some protection from the weather.

I can't wait for it to be finished. The girls will love their new coop. We are putting the floor down tonight and digging the trench for water and electric Saturday.

Here's a link for building the nest boxes.

http://www.buildeazy.com/chicken_coop_1.html

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom